Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

True FC race boat hulls....? 04 Oct 2020 00:37 #107890

Yeah, the plate bolts to the powerhead and has the holder for the water tube and water ports to both cool the exhaust tuner and the powerhead, it then bolts to the Midsection and has a alinement bushing to keep the drive shaft in line with the lower unit.
Proud Owner of 1956 Vagabond, 1950 Flyer, 1956 Rocket, Co-owner 1952 Flash, 10-1/2 less than VinTin

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

True FC race boat hulls....? 04 Oct 2020 00:08 #107888

Ray that's super cool!! I am guessing the plate was made 2 fold? One to hold the tuner and one to attach the smaller lower unit?
Click the link below for information on vintage Mercury restorations

Mercury Restorations

1957 Clipper / 1969 Merc 1000
Lake life is the best life
Jump in a boat and go

True FC race boat hulls....? 03 Oct 2020 15:57 #107887

Hey Marc,

We were talking about exhaust tuners at Arrowhead, here is the adapter plate and tuner I built for the motor on the Flyer.

Proud Owner of 1956 Vagabond, 1950 Flyer, 1956 Rocket, Co-owner 1952 Flash, 10-1/2 less than VinTin

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: alanbiltz, VinTin, MercuryMarc

True FC race boat hulls....? 03 Oct 2020 12:18 #107884

The hole is on my side but there is a big knot on your side of the powerhead, I guess that's a knot head ;-)

True FC race boat hulls....? 03 Oct 2020 03:13 #107882

Locomotion wrote: I have to think the Feather Crafts never developed into a preferred craft for the racers due to the difficulty of hull repairs, a wood hull lends itself to quick easy repairs, knock a hole in your racer in practice Friday, fix it over night and race Saturday, not many people are prepared or tooled up to do that with a aluminum hull.

If you want to go fast you have to be ready to pay the price.....

Was that on my half of the motor?

Just getting used to the lay of this land.

True FC race boat hulls....? 03 Oct 2020 00:30 #107878

Ouch!

True FC race boat hulls....? 03 Oct 2020 00:09 #107877

I have to think the Feather Crafts never developed into a preferred craft for the racers due to the difficulty of hull repairs, a wood hull lends itself to quick easy repairs, knock a hole in your racer in practice Friday, fix it over night and race Saturday, not many people are prepared or tooled up to do that with a aluminum hull.

If you want to go fast you have to be ready to pay the price.....

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: BigBadJon

True FC race boat hulls....? 02 Oct 2020 04:54 #107863

Got to agree with Ray about the press overlooking some really quality racing.

We raced alcohol funny cars in the NHRA for ten years, and got just about zero press. A lot of guys began their racing careers in TAFC or TAD, but were unknowns until they moved up to fuel. People like Gary Scelzi, Brad, Randy, and Shelly Anderson, the Pedregon brothers, Darell Russell, Joe Amato, Kenny Bernstein, and many others became stars of fuel racing, but were unknowns when they ran alcohol.

Other than the professional classes with major sanctioning bodies, in any motorsport, press coverage just doesn't exist. There are/were some damn good drivers, builders, tuners, and wrenches that are true racers, not in it for the money.

You can see some great boat/oval/drag/baja racing at local events that don't get much promotion. These are some damn good drivers, builders, tuners, and wrenches who do it just for the fun. Most racers, no matter what they're racing, are speed junkies, and live for the competition.

At least until they become professional. That's a different story.

Last edit: by Barefeet.

True FC race boat hulls....? 01 Oct 2020 11:52 #107852

The Feather Craft catalogs promoted the Fire Fly, Flash and Flyer as class racers, they were designed like the other closed course racers of the day with flat, short planning bottoms and angled chines.
Boat racing in the late 40's, and early 50's was very varied and widespread, it was not often a national level sanctioned activity, local and regional racing clubs put on events that didn't get promoted or documented.
The marathons were big events but even those were not likely to get widespread media coverage, there are fairly large marathon races still taking place today, still no media coverage and boat racing is not alone in this, I raced with the AHDRA, a Harley Davidson drag racing sanctioning body for years, we would race at Bristol Motor Dragway and have 5,000 spectators watch 400 competitors race for three days and never see a word in print media or TV or Radio.

True FC race boat hulls....? 01 Oct 2020 03:38 #107851

• DrChip
  • DrChip's Avatar Topic Author
  • Ship's Doctor
  • Ship's Doctor
  • Thank you received: 298
I know the Runabouts had a class winning history in the Albany to NYC Hudson River enduro 1n 1947 and 1948. Flyers, Flashs and Fire Flys are often referred to as “race boats” but I have not found any documentation of these models racing, at least on a national level.. Runabouts, earliest being 1946, were “arrows” relative long at 11’6” inches and only 44 inches wide. Fire Flys and Flashes were, I believe, 10ft 6 inches long, and 55 inches wide.

So what FC hulls are documented as racers..

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.118 seconds

Forum Statistics

• Total Users:2356
  • Latest Member:Ranger3rob
  • Total Posts:100k
  • Total Topics:7343
  • Total Sections:9
  • Total Categories:24
  • Today Open:0
  • Yesterday Open:0
  • Today Answer:3