Topic

TRANSOM and KNEE BRACE query 01 Aug 2020 16:30 #106560

Best shots I could get while in the barn. Hopefully this helps ID.
No serial number but maybe it is under the rear wood of the transom?
Or just impossible to see under a layer of aircraft paint...
(used to have a rear seat back but it was cut out by PO)

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

TRANSOM and KNEE BRACE query 01 Aug 2020 15:41 #106559

The inside wood is only one piece. I will try to find some photos.
Your serial number should be on the outside of the transom, upper right had side near the transom corner brace, it will tell you what you have.
A few good photos with wide shots of the interior and the front and rear of the boat will let use identify it by sight most likely.
It looks like a Ranger to me.

Last edit: Post by Locomotion.

TRANSOM and KNEE BRACE query 01 Aug 2020 15:35 #106558

The inside should be one piece of Mahogany or Sapele, 7/8" thick. White Oak is sometimes used but I have seen it crack in service.
The outside wood can be two pieces with a vertical seem, I prefer to bond it together with marine epoxy.
The outside wood was originally 3/4" but it can be thicker, whatever your clamps will fit over.
The single knee brace was not used until 1957, it is sufficient if everything is else is in good condition.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Akwafunk

TRANSOM and KNEE BRACE query 01 Aug 2020 15:31 #106557

I think you are right!
Anyone know the setup for the interior/exterior board dimensions?
I think I saw on the forum the Vagabonds have an upper and lower interior board.
Pictures would be great too!

TRANSOM and KNEE BRACE query 01 Aug 2020 15:24 #106556

I would put it back like the factory originally set it up.

TRANSOM and KNEE BRACE query 01 Aug 2020 15:18 #106555

Charlie
The knee brace is riveted to the bottom and attached the the interior wood of the transom with small wood screws.
Melissa

TRANSOM and KNEE BRACE query 01 Aug 2020 15:13 #106554

Good to know about the brackets, braces, etc.
While there is a lot of wood on the inside of the transom, still leaves me questioning it currently being in 2 pieces on the inside with a vertical seam right down the
middle and behind a broken, unattached knee brace. Should the inside transom wood always be one solid piece?
Thank you for the input.

TRANSOM and KNEE BRACE query 01 Aug 2020 15:03 #106553

The outboard you have should be fine for your boat was your knee brace bolted through the hull and through the outside transom board or was it just wood screws holding it together
Charlie

TRANSOM and KNEE BRACE query 01 Aug 2020 13:26 #106550

Never seen one with so much wood, looks pretty well supported to me. Earlier boats had more knee braces, some later had none. The factory at some point decided they were not necessary. Dont worry about a little wavyness in the aluminum, the wood will pull it straight. All of us have to add shims at the corner braces, just cut some tapers and through drill. Heavy engines weigh down the stern and make it harder to get up on plane and make it easier for waves to go over transom. On these I see little need for powered tilt or trim if you set it up properly. Ok maybe tilt if you are unable to lift it up physically to insert a transom saver for trailering purposes. I like a smaller old motor over a heavier newer, personal preference and what the craft were designed to handle. Theses are not speed boats (ok a few are but majority are pleasure craft).
1952 Deluxe Runabout 1956 Johnson 30hp 1959 Deluxe Clipper 1973 Merc 500 50hp

TRANSOM and KNEE BRACE query 01 Aug 2020 12:44 #106548

Greetings,
I have a Feathercraft (not sure the year/model, maybe a 56 Vagabond?) that I think I need to replace the transom on
(see photos for barrelback style).
The metal is slightly bowed and I believe this may be from the existing transom wood not being fabricated properly and structurally inferior?
From what I can see all transoms should have a continuous piece of wood running the full width of the transom on the inside.
Mine was installed as 2 pieces with a seam running vertically under the knee brace (see photos of seam under knee brace)
which I think did not support the motor, bowed the back and pulled the brace away from the transom.
Also the existing wood never filled the corner brackets properly which allowed for additional transom flex that shouldn’t have happened
(see side bracket photo).

***Does anyone have any photos of how this transom should be templated for maximum support?
(I am reading some reference to 2 pieces on the Vagabond but not sure what that should look like.)

***Also as this feather craft only had 1 knee brace on the center stringer should other knee braces be added?
(I see some years had multiple) …and if so do you know of any resources for those?

This boat had a 30hp 4stroke on it @150lb (trim/elect may have added more weight to that number)
Can this boat handle that heavy of a motor with a ‘corrected’ transom?

Many Thanks in advance for the input![/hide]

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.098 seconds

Forum Statistics

• Total Users:2257
  • Latest Member:shouston7777@gmail.com
  • Total Posts:97.4k
  • Total Topics:7197
  • Total Sections:9
  • Total Categories:24
  • Today Open:1
  • Yesterday Open:2
  • Today Answer:2