Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Best motor choice for 53 DR

Best motor choice for 53 DR 31 Mar 2020 23:59 #103340

She's got a nice rear end on her. That cap on top of the transom is unique.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Best motor choice for 53 DR 31 Mar 2020 21:43 #103338

That sounds great, I'm halfway through doing up the 54 Bigtwin Electric. Sounds like a good match. Here's some pics of the boat waiting for the motor..

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: BigBadJon

Best motor choice for 53 DR 30 Mar 2020 14:20 #103313

• Carol
  • Ship's Doctor
  • Ship's Doctor
  • Thank you received: 137
When I got my DR years ago, I hung a 58 18 horse evinrude on it. Very decent speed about 24MPH and good fuel economy. Used to cruise the ohio river from maysville to portsmouth with it, and had two 6 gallon cans mounted under the front cowling. My ship was set up originally as rear steer. After joining the original feathercraft website back around 2008 0r 2009 I went on a few of the first outings we had, The ohio river and lock below pittsburg, the three rivers cruise with John, then the cruise over to the town on the ohio river where the daggerboat races were hels, forget the name... When Russ and Cathy hosted the first original rivitpalooza, with seeing others ships, I found that speed was important to the other boaters, and I upped my power to a 1954 blue egg evinrude 25. I bought it up in michigan. It had a bad clutch dog, the real thinkind, and I replaced the entire assembly with a like new 1965 gearset. It has run all these years perfectly with zero problems. It also was contemporary as it was exactly what would have gone on my boat back when new, but also what was unique was it sat in mounted very close to the transom, and got that weight close right on the transom, rather than hanging out away from the stern which improves handling. The ship never did porpose, and planed in a second or two. With a 14 pitch prop, it gave a steady 31mph confirmed by GPS. It was a pull start which gave me stress once in a while, as I lack strength.
But overall I could keep up with about everybody, and outrun a few, but the overall idea was that it was only turning 4000 RPM to develope the 25HP! I still have that engine, and hope if my health returns to get it back on my heavily rivited ship, and out cruising again.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BigBadJon, VinTin

Carol Tenge

Best motor choice for 53 DR 30 Mar 2020 13:31 #103311

I have a DR that I am yet to match a motor with too. It will need to be aesthetically pleasing as well as matched to the size of the boat. Of course, this is subjective and beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I'm thinking of putting a 57' 30 hp Lark on it, but I reserve the right to change my mind 8 or 9 times before it is all said and done.

Good luck and show us what you decide.

Best motor choice for 53 DR 30 Mar 2020 02:06 #103308

Trade the Mark 25 for a Mark 30:shades:

Best motor choice for 53 DR 29 Mar 2020 03:44 #103276

Marc, Not going to happen this year, most likely. I picked up a 1960 Lark 40hp from JR at Arrowhead. I have it on a stand but have not done anything but move it around the garage as it got in my way. Its a nice complete motor, kicks good on the rope, still had some fuel in carb bowl and leaks foot oil all over my garage. Its really last on my list of things to do around here but if I catch up on back logged work, run out of welding wire for my car projects, build the wife's green house and upholster the DR while on quarantine and need something else to do, it is it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: MercuryMarc

1952 Deluxe Runabout 1956 Johnson 30hp 1960 Deluxe Clipper

Best motor choice for 53 DR 29 Mar 2020 01:14 #103269

The Art Doctor wrote: So, I bought a 40hp Evinrude that I have yet to get into.

I don't mean to thread drift, sorry.
But Larry! Your holding out on us with a repower! :cookie: do tell... Do show pics....

Mercury Marc, 1958 Hawk II, Merc 400
Last edit: by MercuryMarc.

Best motor choice for 53 DR 28 Mar 2020 16:36 #103236

The Speeditwin weighs about 115-120 and produces 22.5 hp. A real torquey, low rpm motor so it jumps out off te water.
The starting drill is a bit much with no gear shift and manual spark and throttle, plus no rewind and a hefty rope pull. You felt like you were going to be like an old cartoon and go flying over the transom when the motor fired.

Best motor choice for 53 DR 28 Mar 2020 15:19 #103234

I would consider using a 57, 58 or 59 35 horsepower OMC. They are great looking Motors, run good, and have good power. I'll probably run a 10 and 3/8 by 14 in propeller. I'd have the steering up front.

“The mind, once stretched by a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions.” Ralph Waldo Emerson

Best motor choice for 53 DR 28 Mar 2020 14:33 #103232

Very cool setup there.
What does that baby weigh?
Even has the gas tank hanging way out back, did it plane easy?
The following user(s) said Thank You: VinTin

"And the days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, I have really good days." - Ray Wylie Hubbard
Time to create page: 0.316 seconds

Forum Statistics

• Total Users:2134
  • Latest Member:charles
  • Total Posts:94.4k
  • Total Topics:6994
  • Total Sections:9
  • Total Categories:24
  • Today Open:0
  • Yesterday Open:3
  • Today Answer:5
  • Yesterday Answer:11

Top Posters

Top Posters Posts
jabe 5699
VinTin 5013
sgower 4748
Eagle127 4703
Locomotion 4298
Boatboy 3973
BigBadJon 3640
unclbuz 3009
Carol 2962
Bikecop1 2640

Contact

How to get ahold of Us

www.feathercraft.net Command Central
52457 Robins Drive
New Baltimore, Michigan 48047

Webmaster

Steve Gower
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

810-614-0734

Support

for support
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Events

Event Coordinator

Register

property of:

Feather Craft Technologies - Copyright © 2016 www.feathercraft.net