Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Who doesn't run the thermostat

Who doesn't run the thermostat 09 Apr 2020 02:02 #103563

I think you want your tale tell somewhere ahead of the thermostat not past it, I don’t know that system well but there must be somewhere that taps into the pressure side of the pump output.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

"And the days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, I have really good days." - Ray Wylie Hubbard

Who doesn't run the thermostat 09 Apr 2020 01:27 #103560

I installed a tale tale post thermostats
A. shoots a solid stream even at idle with the thermostats not installed (how I've ran for a year)

I installed a new thermostat:
B. dosent shoot anything till the engine warms (2 minutes) then it's a dribble unless I run 25 a while then it becomes s steady stream but nothing like running no thermostate.
☆water is consistantly as hot as you want to catch in your hand.
☆steam all the time is un-nerving!

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Sean

Who doesn't run the thermostat 05 Apr 2020 10:32 #103431

That might really be a good idea.

Where did the gator head go?

"And the days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, I have really good days." - Ray Wylie Hubbard
Last edit: by Locomotion.

Who doesn't run the thermostat 04 Apr 2020 23:50 #103417

I ordered the thermostat, and I installed a Telltale. It works so good I may have to put a restrictor on it for when the thermostat is closed LOL

Sean
Last edit: by SeanDrives4Fun.

Who doesn't run the thermostat 04 Apr 2020 13:15 #103406

SeanDrives4Fun wrote: Thanks Vin, I've experienced the steam! I will definitely grab a thermostat, think about installing a Telltale- I'm assuming the top of the thermostat housing would be the best place so I can verify its opening?
I fabricated a bracket to hold my hot light, drilled out a rivet, and mounted it to that hole. If I ever remove it I can pop in a new rivet.
I might also hook up my hot light, I have the wiring in place, I just don't want to put another hole in a dash mine's kind of clean.

The following user(s) said Thank You: SeanDrives4Fun

Who doesn't run the thermostat 04 Apr 2020 11:32 #103405

That sounds a little scary to me!

Sean

Who doesn't run the thermostat 04 Apr 2020 11:31 #103404

Thanks Vin, I've experienced the steam! I will definitely grab a thermostat, think about installing a Telltale- I'm assuming the top of the thermostat housing would be the best place so I can verify its opening?

I might also hook up my hot light, I have the wiring in place, I just don't want to put another hole in a dash mine's kind of clean.

Sean
Last edit: by SeanDrives4Fun.

Who doesn't run the thermostat 02 Apr 2020 10:19 #103359

The whole purpose of the thermostat is to provide a controlled and as close to optimal operating temperature as possible.
A cold internal combustion engine is not a happy engine, it requires a lot more fuel to even run and this lowers efficiency so much that the out put is greatly reduced at all RPM's.
As the ability to control the entire combustion process has improved with electronic ignitions and electronic fuel injection and computerized optimization of both (which also enhanced the control of the operating temp) the fuel mileage has tripled and engine life has also.
Emissions are reduced and performance is very improved, from cold startup to stable idling to wide open performance, if you control combustion you control everything B)
The following user(s) said Thank You: jabe, bayoumerc, SeanDrives4Fun, huntsman

Last edit: by Locomotion.

Who doesn't run the thermostat 02 Apr 2020 01:55 #103358

• VinTin
  • Away
  • Captain
  • Captain
  • Thank you received: 1730
The water can be seen in this photo. This would indicate that the thermostat is open is my understanding. The cooling system is a loop that returns back to the impeller. When the thermostat opens water is let out of this loop at this rear exhaust point and makeup water is drawn in through the foot into the loop. I've read that in really cold water and weather that the thermostat sometimes does not open at all and motor cooling in handled with almost zero fresh water entering the loop.

I believe a small amount of water flows into the loop at all times regardless of the thermostat being opened or closed. This small flow cools the mid section and most likely it is this small flow that we see as steam.

I've noticed that sometimes after a hard run and then idle like when entering a no wake zone these motors will show more water flow for short period of time.

The following user(s) said Thank You: bayoumerc, SeanDrives4Fun

“The mind, once stretched by a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions.” Ralph Waldo Emerson
Last edit: by VinTin.

Who doesn't run the thermostat 02 Apr 2020 01:31 #103357

Every time I follow Rob's boat with his 1962 Evinrude Lark all I ever see is steam coming out the back of the exhaust housing. However, his motor seems to run strong all day long.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SeanDrives4Fun

John

1958 Vagabond II & 35 HP Evinrude
1955 PlastiCraft 12 Ft. Delux Runabout
1957 Clipper & twin 35 HP Evinrudes
1957 AlumaCraft 14 Ft. FD
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.213 seconds

Forum Statistics

• Total Users:2134
  • Latest Member:charles
  • Total Posts:94.4k
  • Total Topics:6994
  • Total Sections:9
  • Total Categories:24
  • Today Open:0
  • Yesterday Open:3
  • Today Answer:4
  • Yesterday Answer:11

Top Posters

Top Posters Posts
jabe 5699
VinTin 5013
sgower 4748
Eagle127 4703
Locomotion 4298
Boatboy 3973
BigBadJon 3640
unclbuz 3009
Carol 2962
Bikecop1 2640

Contact

How to get ahold of Us

www.feathercraft.net Command Central
52457 Robins Drive
New Baltimore, Michigan 48047

Webmaster

Steve Gower
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

810-614-0734

Support

for support
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Events

Event Coordinator

Register

property of:

Feather Craft Technologies - Copyright © 2016 www.feathercraft.net