Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: omc points, timing & coil test

omc points, timing & coil test 01 Apr 2020 11:04 #103347

SeanDrives4Fun wrote: Thank you Vin Tin!
This saves me buying a bunch of coils for no reason. I get 7.5 on primary set at 200 range. Now that I have accurate testing, I'm anxious to get back to the set of coils on my motor and start over!
Next I'll ask you how to get my idle stop to work lol

I might have missed something but, Dan said 0.4 to 0.7 (he just left out the 0 before the decimal point) and you got 7.5 :hmm:
The following user(s) said Thank You: VinTin

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

"And the days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, I have really good days." - Ray Wylie Hubbard
Last edit: by Locomotion.

omc points, timing & coil test 01 Apr 2020 02:34 #103344

Thank you Vin Tin!
This saves me buying a bunch of coils for no reason. I get 7.5 on primary set at 200 range. Now that I have accurate testing, I'm anxious to get back to the set of coils on my motor and start over!
Next I'll ask you how to get my idle stop to work lol

Sean

omc points, timing & coil test 31 Mar 2020 18:34 #103336

• VinTin
  • Away
  • Captain
  • Captain
  • Thank you received: 1730

SeanDrives4Fun wrote: My fancy auto range Sperry dsa 500 meter showed no reading on secondary, today I tried an older digital sperry DM -500 meter and found this:

I just don't know if this us good or bad!
I got the same reading ground to barb as I did ground to spark plus boot.

That is a good reading. 4,600 Ω.
You should get the same readings from the barb to ground and spark plug boot to ground. The reason is the spark plug wire has almost zero resistance especially compared to 4.6KΩ

What's the other secondary read?

Then put the vom scale on 200Ω and read the primaries. They should be in the neighborhood of .5Ω to .7Ω
The following user(s) said Thank You: SeanDrives4Fun

“The mind, once stretched by a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions.” Ralph Waldo Emerson
Last edit: by VinTin.

omc points, timing & coil test 31 Mar 2020 17:53 #103335

My fancy auto range Sperry dsa 500 meter showed no reading on secondary, today I tried an older digital sperry DM -500 meter and found this:

I just don't know if this us good or bad!
I got the same reading ground to barb as I did ground to spark plus boot.

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Sean

omc points and timing 29 Mar 2020 18:42 #103295

Burned points are a sign of a bad condenser, here is all you could ever want to know about magneto ignition systems :biggrin:

www.themagnetoguys.co.uk/condensers-theory
The following user(s) said Thank You: MercuryMarc

"And the days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, I have really good days." - Ray Wylie Hubbard

omc points and timing 29 Mar 2020 15:37 #103290

I also have had issues checking the secondary. It helps to have an auto ranging meter, I do not.

1952 Deluxe Runabout 1956 Johnson 30hp 1960 Deluxe Clipper

omc points, timing & coil test 29 Mar 2020 15:34 #103289

• VinTin
  • Away
  • Captain
  • Captain

SeanDrives4Fun wrote: Filed points, timed with a buddies tool.
Tested coils, primary passed =Points lead / ground lead. Tested secondary (Ground to plug snap) and both coils failed. Didn't want to open that up today so I tested coils on my parts motor, they failed 2nd test also. Then I removed plug wires to access prong and both coils failed still. How important is this test?
note: reassembled my motor and drove it 38 miles yesterday LOL it does run rough at lower RPMs I think.

I believe ground to spark plug boot sound be in the 4 to 7 KΩ range.

What are you getting?

If you are reading open then maybe you need to go to a higher range on your VOM.

“The mind, once stretched by a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions.” Ralph Waldo Emerson

omc points, timing & coil test 29 Mar 2020 14:13 #103285

Filed points, timed with a buddies tool.
Tested coils, primary passed =Points lead / ground lead. Tested secondary (Ground to plug snap) and both coils failed. Didn't want to open that up today so I tested coils on my parts motor, they failed 2nd test also. Then I removed plug wires to access prong and both coils failed still. How important is this test?
note: reassembled my motor and drove it 38 miles yesterday LOL it does run rough at lower RPMs I think.

Sean

omc points and timing 22 Mar 2020 00:57 #103014

• VinTin
  • Away
  • Captain
  • Captain

SeanDrives4Fun wrote: Is there a way to set the point gap and then adjust the plate to get the timing correct by the pointer?

No. There is no easy way. The points would have to be movable on the mag plate, and they are not.

Use the timing fixture and let the point gap fall where it may.

The timing fixture used with a volt meter measuring resistance allows you to set the points so they open at the optimum timing. It is this initial opening that determines the timing of the spark in relation to the piston's location. Setting the point gap to .020 gets you in the neighborhood and the timing fixture gets you spot on. The magneto plate to which the coils, points and condensers are mounted rotates to advance spark at the throttle is advanced.

Next up you will no doubt be asking about synchronizing the high speed/low speed circuits which involves coordinating the relationships of the mag plate// boss mark on the block// throttle butterfly beginning to open. Proper adjustment here can make for an as smooth as possible transition from the idle circuit to the high speed circuit. The manual will give you a setting to get you in the ballpark but a little fine tuning from the exact factory suggested setting may get you a smoother transition between low and high speed operation.
The following user(s) said Thank You: oldlure, MercuryMarc, SeanDrives4Fun

Last edit: by VinTin.

omc points and timing 22 Mar 2020 00:11 #103011

Set the points with a feeler gauge. If you have the special timing tool you can check your points setting using the marks on the edge of the magneto plate.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SeanDrives4Fun

John

1958 Vagabond II & 35 HP Evinrude
1955 PlastiCraft 12 Ft. Delux Runabout
1957 Clipper & twin 35 HP Evinrudes
1957 AlumaCraft 14 Ft. FD
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.237 seconds

Forum Statistics

• Total Users:2134
  • Latest Member:charles
  • Total Posts:94.4k
  • Total Topics:6994
  • Total Sections:9
  • Total Categories:24
  • Today Open:0
  • Yesterday Open:3
  • Today Answer:5
  • Yesterday Answer:11

Top Posters

Top Posters Posts
jabe 5699
VinTin 5013
sgower 4748
Eagle127 4703
Locomotion 4298
Boatboy 3973
BigBadJon 3640
unclbuz 3009
Carol 2962
Bikecop1 2640

Contact

How to get ahold of Us

www.feathercraft.net Command Central
52457 Robins Drive
New Baltimore, Michigan 48047

Webmaster

Steve Gower
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

810-614-0734

Support

for support
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Events

Event Coordinator

Register

property of:

Feather Craft Technologies - Copyright © 2016 www.feathercraft.net