Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Lee's 1955 Vagabond

Lee's 1955 Vagabond 17 Feb 2020 15:09 #102162

I can't date the Quicksilver wheel but I would say it is period correct. I installed the same wheel in my Vagabond only mine has the Kaminc (Kiekhaefer Aero Marine Inc) center emblem.

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: VinTin, lwangstad

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Mike
1950 Skipper on Holsclaw Boat Roadster trailer
1954 Vagabond w/ '57 Johnson 35hp
1955 Alumacraft FD on a Gator trailer
1956 Alumacraft FD

Lee's 1955 Vagabond 17 Feb 2020 14:19 #102159

Joe Pool would be a good person to ask about your wheel.
The following user(s) said Thank You: lwangstad

John

1958 Vagabond II & 35 HP Evinrude
1955 PlastiCraft 12 Ft. Delux Runabout
1957 Clipper & twin 35 HP Evinrudes
1957 AlumaCraft 14 Ft. FD

Lee's 1955 Vagabond 17 Feb 2020 04:26 #102157

Okay, so I’m waiting until warmer weather to begin restoration on my 1955 Vagabond. I figured that this would give me time to gather the parts and pieces necessary. It came with new ½” plywood floors and seat tops, stained nicely in a shade of brown. I’ll paint these gray as used in the original boats. I’m not a real stickler for originality, more interested in a user boat. I have a 1958 Johnson Super Sea Horse that I got at an auction a couple of years back. I’ll have to convert it to a short shaft. Got all the parts necessary. When I posted a couple of photos a few months back the consensus was that it was missing both the rear handles as well as the upper transom braces where the gunnels attach. A friend dropped by and gave me those missing pieces. He had used the originals to re-cast them for his DR, and these original pieces were surplus to his needs. I had picked up a Kainer steering wheel, thought that I could restore it before nicer weather hit. I’ve done wheels before, this was more of a challenge than the usual Attwood wheels that I was used to. But, before I could get a good start on it, this other wheel turns up. I was at an outboard shop that specializes in vintage repairs and spotted it on a workbench. When I asked if it was for sale, the owner said, “sure.” Without looking it over really close we made a deal. When I got home I noticed that it was aluminum. That made it perfect for the Feathercraft. Upon closer inspection, the center badge said “Quicksilver.” I haven’t seen one like it before. The cable hub seems to be exactly like later models, but the wheel is different. I’m not really a Mercury guy, does anyone know when this wheel was produced?

Lee

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: VinTin

Lee Wangstad
Last edit: by lwangstad.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.147 seconds

Forum Statistics

• Total Users:2085
  • Latest Member:beznay
  • Total Posts:92.9k
  • Total Topics:6911
  • Total Sections:9
  • Total Categories:24
  • Today Open:0
  • Yesterday Open:2
  • Today Answer:0
  • Yesterday Answer:45

Top Posters

Top Posters Posts
jabe 5671
VinTin 4949
sgower 4717
Eagle127 4690
Locomotion 4164
Boatboy 3926
BigBadJon 3585
unclbuz 2983
Carol 2951
Bikecop1 2628

Contact

How to get ahold of Us

www.feathercraft.net Command Central
52457 Robins Drive
New Baltimore, Michigan 48047

Webmaster

Steve Gower
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

810-614-0734

Support

for support
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Events

Event Coordinator

Register

property of:

Feather Craft Technologies - Copyright © 2016 www.feathercraft.net