Topic

Donor FC 10 Oct 2019 23:16 #99689

I think it is turning out great, nice job so far, keep the pics coming in.
Mid 50's to early 60's classic Mercury outboard restorations
1958 Hawk II, 1959 Mark 78A Super Marathon Six

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Donor FC 10 Oct 2019 22:53 #99688

Unfortunately, I don't have a lot of photos of the work on the boat as it happened. I never gave it much thought. These are the most recent ones, taken about a month ago. I'll try to get some new photos this weekend, as it's quite a bit further along.

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Last edit: Post by Barefeet.

Donor FC 10 Oct 2019 11:53 #99679

I too would love to see some photos of your boat and its progress. I am finishing up a 1951 DR and it's not polished. Jabe has a DR that is not polished and I think they both look great! Lots of help and advice to be had from this site.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jabe

Donor FC 10 Oct 2019 11:23 #99677

There is nothing wrong with a boat that is painted, they look just as cool or even cooler than a polished one. The fact that you took a FC saved it from the scrap yard, and turned it into your tender boat is awesome, well done! Can't wait to see some pics.

Donor FC 10 Oct 2019 03:01 #99669

I'm aware of where the original serial number was located. When I found the boat, that was one of the first things I researched. You could definitely see where the serial number had been ground away, albeit very crudely. I tried to sand the gouges with some 400 grit, but there just wasn't any hint of what was formerly there. I was subsequently told that the 54-55 DR models did not have any kind of sticker or plate in addition to the stamped number. I still looked, but there was nothing.

Hindsight being 20/20, I wish I had talked to an expert about trying to chemically raise the number. I didn't, and now it's too late to try.

The transom was in bad shape, bent, twisted, and full of holes, like much of the rest of the boat. I built a piece to reinforce the inside of the original metal out of carbon core laminated with 1/8" aluminum on one side and .080 on the other. We straightened the original metal as much as possible, then used 5200 and a bunch of clamps to bond the plate to the old transom.

On the outside of the transom, we built a 1/2" teak panel, full width and about 1 1/4" short of the waterline. It too is bonded with 5200. The new transom is four inches taller than the original one at the peak, beause it's no longer possible to find a 15" shaft motor with tilt/trim. We shaped all of the new pieces to follow the original curvature of the transom, then flatened it for the top 12". The teak was routered out for a inlaid 1/8" polished stainless motor plate.

My woodworking guy is just starting on finishing the teak. He's going to do 12-15 coats of epoxy, then another 6-8 coats of Awlgrip clearcoat on all of it. While he's doing that, I'm going to shoot the inside of the boat with white Imron. Then the steering gets mounted, along with the controls and lights.

Needless to say, I'm getting really anxious to get it done. We're trying to head south around the end of November, and there's still quite a bit to do.

Jabe, I wish I had known about this group before I got started. There is no doubt that I could have saved a lot of money and avoided a ton of mistakes. I would have given anything to have had a fully polished boat in the end, because there's nothing quite like a shiny FC. It's going to look nice, but it's not polished aluminum.

I'll get some photos gathered up and posted to show some of the progress to date. Thanks to everyone for all their help and suggestions.

Donor FC 10 Oct 2019 01:37 #99653

jmhyatt wrote: It has not been clear to me since the beginning of this thread whether you are familiar with where the serial number can be located on these boats. I believe you said at the beginning that the S/N had been scraped off the boat. Some boats had the S/N stamped into a sticker, typically located on the "bulkhead" wall under the bow deck. And that could easily be scraped off or worn off. But The main location for the serial number is at the top right-hand side of the transom, next to the motor mount, where the S/N is stamped into the aluminum sheet. In the photos you provided of your boat, I don't see any sign of the S/N on your transom, but the photo is not very clear. In some cases the S/N ends up underneath the wood that the motor is mounted to. Do you see signs that the S/N was ground off the transom?

The original serial number would be here.

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Donor FC 10 Oct 2019 01:18 #99650

I would like to see "now" pictures. Sounds interesting :cookie:

Donor FC 10 Oct 2019 01:16 #99649

Some of the early S/N were only about 1/8” tall and not deeply stamped.

Donor FC 10 Oct 2019 00:09 #99638

It has not been clear to me since the beginning of this thread whether you are familiar with where the serial number can be located on these boats. I believe you said at the beginning that the S/N had been scraped off the boat. Some boats had the S/N stamped into a sticker, typically located on the "bulkhead" wall under the bow deck. And that could easily be scraped off or worn off. But The main location for the serial number is at the top right-hand side of the transom, next to the motor mount, where the S/N is stamped into the aluminum sheet. In the photos you provided of your boat, I don't see any sign of the S/N on your transom, but the photo is not very clear. In some cases the S/N ends up underneath the wood that the motor is mounted to. Do you see signs that the S/N was ground off the transom?

Donor FC 09 Oct 2019 23:39 #99637

please take no offence, 20k, wish you joined the site before you started, many here could have helped you save a buck or two, would love to see pics of the how she looks now, cheers

Time to create page: 0.110 seconds

Forum Statistics

• Total Users:2257
  • Latest Member:shouston7777@gmail.com
  • Total Posts:97.4k
  • Total Topics:7197
  • Total Sections:9
  • Total Categories:24
  • Today Open:1
  • Yesterday Open:2
  • Today Answer:2
  • Yesterday Answer:6