Topic

Donor FC 12 Oct 2019 18:55 #99729

I think that's just a recipie for disaster.
You bet, lots of flotsam out there.
We were offshore of the D.R. and happened to see a 2" hawser floating beside us. Followed that thing for a hundred yards and on the end was a triangle made from telephone poles What the hell was that, as we looked at each other. Could have sunk us.

Ft. Lauderdale to Charleston in some really rough seas
I've done a half dozen of those from KeyW to Chas, north and south. None have been easy.
One we call 'The trip through hell', struck by lightning, lost two anchors, broached the boat three times in a microburst, grounded on entry to Edisto and finally towed across a mud flat.

Do you island hop from say KeyW to Turks?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Donor FC 12 Oct 2019 17:26 #99726

Winner, winner: chicken dinner. That's an great suggestion FB. Works all around.

Normally, it's just my wife and me on the boat. If we're doing a long passage, like Havana to Cozumel, we might take an additional crew member just to break up the watches. I know captains that set alarms and go to sleep at night, but I'm not one of them. I'm not going to claim I've never nodded off on watch, but otherwise I think that's just a recipie for disaster.

Handling the boat is no problem. We have a yacht controller system and big thrusters fore and aft. That allows operation of the boat from anywhere aboard, and even from the dock. I saw a 110' Hatteras single handed into a tight side-tie on the megadock in Charleston using the yacht controller. He'd just made a solo offshore non-stop from Ft. Lauderdale to Charleston in some really rough seas. Watching, and subsequently talking to, him convinced me that I had to have one.

Barefeet underwent a complete refit from June 2016 through November 2017. We're proud of the old tub, and made it into what we wanted.

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Last edit: Post by Barefeet.

Donor FC 12 Oct 2019 15:10 #99724

DRX 2019 54
That will show it's been reworked this year and we all know that they made more than 19 boats by February of '54. :)

What's your crew complement on Barefeet?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Barefeet

Donor FC 12 Oct 2019 03:01 #99715

No problem H2. As you said, we tried. I took photos of all the stuff I'm not using, including the handles, bow light, wood transom plates (inside and out), complete steering unit (no wheel), Evinrude 30, controls, and some other stuff that was all removed from the DR. I'll get everything posted this weekend, along with the photos.

I know I keep saying this, but you guys are really great. Don't know that I've ever run into such a helpful, friendly, bunch of folks. Glad to be here, for sure.

Locomotion, it's a shame that Barefeet isn't nearly as maneuverable, quick, and espeially as fuel efficient as the FC is going to be. Did I mention fuel efficient? You know it's bad when you no longer gauge fuel economy in mpg, but rather gpm. That magic number, at slow cruise, is just over 4. Wringing it's neck, it goes up to 12.5. I don't do that often. Rides will be available in Key West late in the year, the Turks & Caicos in early 2020, and Cuba after that. Maybe Mexico by summer. Book early. B)
The following user(s) said Thank You: BigBadJon, alanbiltz, WetWillie, VinTin, RickG

Donor FC 12 Oct 2019 01:23 #99709

Somebody on here will want the transom handles, we all want a ride on the big boat B)

Donor FC 12 Oct 2019 00:11 #99708

WELCOME B.F. , Nice work you are doing there... We had this No Paperwork topic before & I believe the Feather Craft member got a registration in about 30 minutes on the web...... I had not needed personally , but other collectors used the web site for State of Wisconsin. . Should be able to label it as built Feather Craft , maybe no Serial # is needed....? At one time it was $ 20 , even for out of state address, etc. ..... OLd motorcycle owners have used the State of Vermont for frame paperwork,, maybe a frame # is needed , but not sure... this again is for old items.. Let us know anything positive.
1970 Mon-Ark 16 ft skiff
1957 Merc Mark 25

Donor FC 11 Oct 2019 23:45 #99707

Totally wrong style for a Feathercraft Hawk II. I'm sure someone else will be interested. Thanks we tried.

Still nice job on your boat, love seeing more pics.
1958 Feather Craft Hawk II 14ft Mark 55, 1958 Crestliner Jet Streak 12ft Mark 25E, 1957 Flyin Flivver 8ft Mark 25, 1960 Aqua Queen 15ft Merc 400, 1965 Crestliner Raider Express 17ft, 1988 Algonquin 10ft (Funski) 25hp Merc,1978 Hammond -19ft 228hp, 1991 SOS Express 60hp Evinrude

Donor FC 11 Oct 2019 22:47 #99706

Hawk II, you asked about the transom 'handles' which we aren't using. I have attached a photo below.

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Donor FC 11 Oct 2019 14:33 #99696

Don't worry about couldas, shouldas and wouldas…. your FC looks beautiful and you have done a fine job. Simply get a HIN assigned and proceed with the documentation.
I have highly polished, original patina and painted aluminum boats. Since you cruise in salt water, a painted finish is the correct choice for that environment. Carry on, Sir, and Welcome Aboard.

Donor FC 11 Oct 2019 13:17 #99694

Can't wait to see more!

Time to create page: 0.134 seconds

Forum Statistics

• Total Users:2257
  • Latest Member:shouston7777@gmail.com
  • Total Posts:97.4k
  • Total Topics:7197
  • Total Sections:9
  • Total Categories:24
  • Today Open:1
  • Yesterday Open:2
  • Today Answer:2
  • Yesterday Answer:6