We have a Teleflex rack and pinion steering unit, but the motor needs to be installed to get an exact measurement on the cable length. On a boat this length, excess cable would be as much of a problem as one too short.
Everything is waiting on the boat's woodwork to be finished. It's very wet and humid here right now, so that's not helping drying times. We've got the dash panels done, but the transom only has five of eight coats of epoxy, which has to be followed by five coats of AwlGrip clear. (I've reduced the total number of coats due to the weather.) With the slow cure times and sanding, we can only get two coats a day. The floor panels and the rear deck are removeable, and will be oiled, but I don't want to introduce any oil until we finish the Imron on the inside of the boat.
As soon as the woodwork shop gets their stuff done, we'll move the boat back to my shop and put it in the paint booth to finish the interior painting.
Once all that gets done, we can install the motor & controls, steering, fuel, and the electrical systems. Oh yeah, we still have to mount the davit system on the boat, which is also waiting on the tender to be at a point that we can determine the lifting points.
We really wanted to get headed South by the end of November, but that isn't looking real promising at this point. Getting everyone on the same page has been difficult, at best. It's a little like being on 'island time' ('Morrow mon) down here.
Looking at the pics again this morning... When I hear 'tender' the image that comes to mind is a tiller steered RIB. You're obviously setting the bar way higher than that, but I was wondering... I don't see any obvious accommodation for remote steering. Are you keeping it simple and going with a tiller?
"Kiss my ass, I bought a boat; I'm going out to sea." - Lyle Lovett
It's been really slow going for the past few weeks. I expected to have all the woodwork done, motor and controls installed, and the inside painted. None of that happened. We're close on the woodwork, but none of the rest has even begun. Regardless, here are some photos of the progres.
This message has attachments images. Please log in or register to see it.
We came down from Maryland back in March 2016. It was not fun at all. Forecast was good, reality sucked. The worst was 125 miles off Cape Canaveral.
A thunderstorm blew up, and we had to just keep on keeping on, albeit at reduced throttle. 35kt winds and seas 6 to 8 make for a bad ride, even with Seakeepers.
During a particularly nasty squall, we took a rogue wave at about 25 degrees off the port bow. Never saw it coming in the squall. We took on hundreds of gallons of water when she heeled over to starboard far enough to put the engine room dorads underwater.
Another couple of degrees and we'd have gone over completely. I guess it would have been another Bermuda triangle mystery. When all was said and done, we were thrown 90 degrees off course.
Cuts and bruises for all, but nothing worse.
The water was handled by the pumps. We had lots of interior glass breakage, including every single bottle of liquor in the cabinet, 1/4" mirrors on doors, and glass in picture frames that were screwed to the walls. Every single window was leaking because it cracked all the bedding.
It was a hell of a flex. This was a large part of the decision to refit Barefeet, just to be safe.
We don't usually 'hop', unless we just want to stop off and anchor for a day or two. We like making passages, then spending time around our destination. It's an age thing. Hell, I'm afraid to buy green bananas nowdays.
The hawser and telephone poles were a Haitian sea anchor. We actually saw a 20' container floating off Guadeloupe back in the mid 80's. It was barely breaking the surface, so must have been loaded. Hitting something like that would certainly provide some finality. Even a piece of 12 x 12 dunnage could sink us, and that stuff is everywhere.