Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: New Owner old Boat

New Owner old Boat 23 Aug 2019 21:40 #98526

• TuPop
  • Powder Monkey
  • Powder Monkey
  • Thank you received: 343
My DR has no floatation. I always put two kayak air bags up front just in case.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

The Rivethead formerly known as Russ

New Owner old Boat 23 Aug 2019 13:15 #98514

Another 52 DR owner here. My bow bulkhead was removed (rivets replaced with bolts) and there was nothing up there when I got it. If you still have rivets you probably have the factory Styrofoam up there. There is a gap between the hull and the bulkhead at the floor, stick your camera phone up there and take a pic with the flash on, it will tell you what you have. I have foam under the seats lids but its not all that much as in a DR the seat pans are real thin. I'm also running a '56 Johnson 30hp, but have yet to get it in the water still working on it.

Oh yeah, there is a guy in instagram who has a 50hp modern motor on a DR claims a 45mph top speed. Said motor is 185 lbs.

We love pictures.

1952 Deluxe Runabout
Last edit: by The Art Doctor.

New Owner old Boat 22 Aug 2019 13:35 #98470

The catalogue says " speeds up to 38 MPH" B)

Ray

"Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world."
Arthur Schopenhauer

1956 Vagabond I - 50 HP Johnson
1950 Flyer - 50 HP Evinrude
1/2-195something Flash - KG7
1956 Golden Rocket, Sawzall Special

New Owner old Boat 22 Aug 2019 01:58 #98457

Welcome! I am currently working on a 1951 DR. My Dad fished out of it for years with a small 6hp tiller on it. I am restoring it and replacing the foam that was under the seats and behind the bulkhead with closed cell foam. These are sturdy boats and as with any boat just use common sense and enjoy it.

New Owner old Boat 21 Aug 2019 21:49 #98450

• jabe
  • Captain
  • Captain
  • Thank you received: 1897
welcome, i just got my '53 DR out this yr, running with a '56 30hp Johnson.........28-30 mph and felt very comfortable and safe.........to ride in any of these boats will amaze you with stability and securness in the way they handle......i was warned with having the heavier motor, if your cruising high speed, dont just come to a complete stop........you may get your wash sneak up behind you and over your transom...........get er out and test it out, you will want another for the wife.........:biggrin:

57' Fleet Ranger111-
57' Fleet Cartopper-
53' Deluxe Runabout-
56' Johnson's...Javelin, 2 x 30,15, and 7 1/2 hp
we have not inherited the earth from our fathers, we are borrowing it from our children

uppercanadachapteroftheaomci.yolasite.com/

New Owner old Boat 21 Aug 2019 20:29 #98449

Welcome aboard these boat are pretty safe when I first got my first vagabond finished I hit a wake from a cabin cruiser because the guy driving it turned right in front of me I had no where to go the water came a foot over my wind shield my bilge pump kicked in it scared me bad but all that happen was I got wet you shouldn't have any problems with it just watch out for big wakes from people that don't know how to drive a boat post some pictures of your boat we like pics
Charlie

New Owner old Boat 21 Aug 2019 19:01 #98447

My Vagabond has a floor to deck bulkhead in it that I stuffed about 50 pool noodles in. Before adding the wood to the seats I cut up pool noodles and stacked them in.

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

New Owner old Boat 21 Aug 2019 18:50 #98446

• jmhyatt
  • Ship's Carpenter
  • Ship's Carpenter
  • Thank you received: 334
I have a 1955 DR with a 25 HP 4-stroke motor on it. My top speed is 28-30 MPH, depending on crew and conditions. 30 MPH feels very safe to me.

My boat has a "bulkhead" wall under the front deck; I often rest my feet against it when driving. I've always assumed there is a big chuck of Styrofoam on the other side of that wall, but I've never confirmed it. That is the only flotation in my boat, although I did just last weekend add about 1 cubic foot of closed-cell foam under the front seat.

There is a famous photo somewhere on this site of a submerged boat with the bow sticking up out of the water. My guess is that's the situation you would find yourself in e.g. if you forgot to put the drain plug in your boat. I believe the main risk of this happening is (a) leaving your boat uncovered in a long, heavy rainstorm, or (b) backing up too fast and allowing water to wash over the stern - which is a very real possibility that deserves some attention. A moderate level of fear would not be imprudent. ;^)

These boats were built by and sold to the same generation of Americans who were challenged to put a man on the moon within 10 years, and then did it. Their risk tolerance was a little higher than we expect today.

Last edit: by jmhyatt.

New Owner old Boat 21 Aug 2019 17:13 #98444

• unclbuz
  • Ship's Doctor
  • Ship's Doctor
  • Thank you received: 710
Welcome to Rivet World. Nice ship.
If there is still a shelf under the deck it should be filled with styrofoam (and assorted rodent detritus), Also there may or may not be styrofoam under the seats.
Some have had luck with spray in expanding foam.
Some have exceeded 30 MPH with 30+ HP but know that the catalog recommends max 16 HP.
As long as you don't embark on a three hour tour you should stay on top of the water.

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

“Remember, never compare or compete; just enjoy!" - Carlos Santana

"I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief." - Gerry Spence

New Owner old Boat 21 Aug 2019 16:43 #98443

Good day, All
My wife and I just bought a 1952 Deluxe Runabout with 1957 35 Johnson. I have a some questions to start.
1. Was there ever flotation in this boat?
2. If no, how do I add some?
3. What would be the expected safe speed be with this vessel?
The idea of a boat that can readily sink somewhat scares me.

Thanks in advance
Cheers
Prof. Hess

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.137 seconds

Forum Statistics

• Total Users:1989
  • Latest Member:mullinsboats
  • Total Posts:88.9k
  • Total Topics:6692
  • Total Sections:9
  • Total Categories:22
  • Today Open:0
  • Yesterday Open:0
  • Today Answer:6
  • Yesterday Answer:33

Top Posters

Top Posters Posts
jabe 5560
VinTin 4743
sgower 4626
Eagle127 4602
Locomotion 3884
Boatboy 3736
BigBadJon 3376
Carol 2905
unclbuz 2891
Bikecop1 2565

Contact

How to get ahold of Us

www.feathercraft.net Command Central
52457 Robins Drive
New Baltimore, Michigan 48047

Webmaster

Steve Gower
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

810-614-0734

Support

for support
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Events

Event Coordinator

Register

property of:

Feather Craft Technologies - Copyright © 2016 www.feathercraft.net