Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Not what I was hoping for polishing

Not what I was hoping for polishing 06 Mar 2019 00:42 #93822

• Boatboy
  • Ship's Engineer
  • Ship's Engineer
  • Thank you received: 761
I have never seen or heard of a 1959 Vagabond II. I'm sure they are out there but yours is the first one I have heard about.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

John

1958 Vagabond II & 35 HP Evinrude
1955 PlastiCraft 12 Ft. Delux Runabout
1957 Clipper & twin 35 HP Evinrudes
1957 AlumaCraft 14 Ft. FD

Not what I was hoping for polishing 05 Mar 2019 22:25 #93811

• Syd
  • Cabin Boy/Girl
  • Cabin Boy/Girl
  • Thank you received: 18
I would be interested in see your floors and how you did them once they are done. I have been thinking on how to make some for mine. The previous owner made some, but they are thin and the back one broke. I never cared for them since I got it. It is a Vagabond II 1959

Not what I was hoping for polishing 05 Mar 2019 17:41 #93805

Forgot to say yes I did use multiple applications of oven cleaner - ended up with "foggy" patches as metioned, thats where it looks the dullest and where the worst sanding swirls are after me grinding away. Thanks again to all who took the time to answer. By the way, the unanodized transom looks pretty good.....

Not what I was hoping for polishing 05 Mar 2019 15:55 #93795

If I had it to do over I would have probably had the formerly anodized sections painted, but I craved a polished boat like I’ve seen on this site. I’ve been working with a Milwaukee 3” sander polisher l bought because the auto body supply store guy used one to demonstrate and it worked well and got the edges unlike my 6” Mikita. At this point I’m going to finish the last half of the other side and enjoy the boat. My builder friend and I will be cutting and fitting Mahogany pieces(transom,dash,floor) in his wood shop, then I will begin tothe recently converted to short shaft motor install and steering etc. Looking forward to running the boat this year and probably will try the whole polishing wheel thing next winter. Thanks to all for the helpful comments , I always enjoy this site and the comeraderie of fellow Fcraft owners.....

Not what I was hoping for polishing 05 Mar 2019 15:14 #93794

Had the same issue with my polishing effort when I was experimenting away, I still have many brands of stuff left over from my trials. I would get the boat to look great in the shop but when pulled outside I was demoralized by the results in the daylight. One side I even sanded out to 1000 wet before using tripoli, then to Mothers mag polish but it still looked hazy outside. I, like Steve use Nuvite products but I also like Busches polish, they work differently so you just have to remember what steps and material works best to get where you want to be. During my experiments I found I did not need to sand past 400. I would then use Nuvite F7 with wool pads on a Cyclo polisher (a great investment) then Nuvite G6 with terry cloth, then Nuvite S with terry cloth. You also have to wipe the boat down with mineral spirits in between each step so you don’t contaminate the less aggressive polish that your working to. Getting to know the product and what to use it with is the gold at the end of the day. I would think by your photo Nuvite G6 with wool on the pad is where I would start, possibly G6 with cloth instead of the wool, then Nuvite S with terry cloth. Either way a Cyclo is the way to go. It will do it all and outlive us all. It is so well made if I were to do it over I would buy a good used one instead of new. www.feathercraft.net/forum/8-restoration...3-55?start=190#36320
The following user(s) said Thank You: BigBadJon, Ferrari13

1955 Vagabond
1956 30hp Evinrude Lark
1973 Glastron GT 150
Last edit: by alanbiltz.

Not what I was hoping for polishing 05 Mar 2019 15:07 #93792

Glad you didn't crash!

Not what I was hoping for polishing 05 Mar 2019 14:22 #93789

• Syd
  • Cabin Boy/Girl
  • Cabin Boy/Girl
  • Thank you received: 18
One of the things to remember with polishing is that you want to keep all the scratches running in the same direction. that is what keeps the light reflecting in the same direction so that it looks smooth and shinny. Yes polishing is all about getting the scratches smaller and smaller, uniform and running in the same direction. That is why sgowers recommendation of the high speed buffing wheel is a great idea. Also when stopping, be sure to pick it up off your work before turning it off.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ferrari13, HawkEyes

Not what I was hoping for polishing 05 Mar 2019 13:33 #93786

• sgower
  • Dreaded Pirate Roberts
  • Dreaded Pirate Roberts
  • riveted by design...
  • Thank you received: 1048
What type of polish are you using? I used Nuvite on mine, first I go over the boat with Grade G6 then I fin ish it off with grade S. Also what kind of polisher are you using? Orbital Buffers that most people use to polish their cars do not really do the trick. I use a high speed buffing wheel with the G6 and then I switch to the dual head buffer with the grade S.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ferrari13

Not what I was hoping for polishing 05 Mar 2019 02:35 #93774

• nsul8r25
  • Powder Monkey
  • Powder Monkey
  • Thank you received: 763
It appears to me that the anodizing isn't completely removed. When I stripped mine, the color would go before all the anodizing was gone, leaving foggy patches just lime yours. Did you use Easy Off oven cleaner to strip the anodizing!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ferrari13

'58 Vagabond II / '56 Evinrude Lark 30hp
'53 Experimental Flyer / '56 Evinrude Big Twin 30hp
'51 Penguin / '49 Johnson TD20 5hp
'52 Cheif / 1957 Johnson FD11 18hp

Not what I was hoping for polishing 05 Mar 2019 01:08 #93767

Nice couple of posts TuPop and RickG. Tupop, that story sounds very true. If I ever buy another FC and its not anodized. I will simply scotch bright and go..
Ferrari13, it seams you want this boat to shine.. I can't help you to much but I think Rick G might be on to something. If you are not happy now you probably won't be happy later...good luck have fun!
The following user(s) said Thank You: TuPop, Ferrari13

Mercury Marc, No trailer Queen here! 1958 Hawk II, 1961 Merc 400 x2, 1955 Mark 25E. 1953 Mark 20
Time to create page: 0.142 seconds

Forum Statistics

• Total Users:1855
  • Latest Member:dick@elliott-elliott.com
  • Total Posts:84.6k
  • Total Topics:6489
  • Total Sections:9
  • Total Categories:22
  • Today Open:0
  • Yesterday Open:1
  • Today Answer:13
  • Yesterday Answer:12

Top Posters

Top Posters Posts
jabe 5165
sgower 4571
VinTin 4569
Eagle127 4522
Boatboy 3578
Locomotion 3567
BigBadJon 3215
Carol 2900
unclbuz 2767
Bikecop1 2517

Contact

How to get ahold of Us

www.feathercraft.net Command Central
52457 Robins Drive
New Baltimore, Michigan 48047

Webmaster

Steve Gower
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

810-614-0734

Support

for support
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Events

Event Coordinator

Register

property of:

Feather Craft Technologies - Copyright © 2016 www.feathercraft.net