Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: 1963 Riverboat Restore Project

1963 Riverboat Restore Project 15 Aug 2018 00:39 #87615

I used treated plywood for the flooring, AC2 treated plywood is rated for direct contact with aluminum, I did put a thin foam membrane between the wood and the runners, just because.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1963 Riverboat Restore Project 15 Aug 2018 00:27 #87614

Awesome find, I’ve got one myself. This was my fathers boat that my son and I fixed up for fishing, nothing fancy, but she floats. I replaced the transom with 1x6 oak and stainless hardware. The is evidence of steering and remote throttle which is long gone, the boat was originally blue and white but my father painted it.

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

1963 Riverboat Restore Project 14 Jun 2018 18:08 #85790

• RickG
  • Powder Monkey
  • Powder Monkey
  • Thank you received: 435
Looks like you're moving right along. I like that color lots better.
Question though... is that pressure treated 2x lumber in the 5th pic? If so, be aware that the copper used in PT lumber reacts with and corrodes aluminum. Never use PT anywhere on an aluminum boat.

'54 Vagabond / '55 Mark 55E
'59 Crestliner Jetstreak / '60 Merc 300
Etched panels and reproduction parts

Kiss my ass, I bought a boat; I'm going out to sea... - Lyle Lovett

1963 Riverboat Restore Project 14 Jun 2018 14:11 #85789

• elsimpso
  • elsimpso's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Border
  • Fresh Border
  • Thank you received: 3
So a lot of progress has happened since my last update. No more Smurfboat. I found exactly what I wanted in paint. Dark Navy. It looks great. I haven't done the detail work on the paint job yet because I wanted to get started on the interior. I also finished building out the custom trailer bunks and rollers to fit this beast. Nothing a 5' piece of rolled steel tubing can't fix. I'm about %99 done crafting the flooring now, and I've only got to build out a bench for seating, and a platform on the rear deck before I am ready to bolt things into place permanently. I am also going to foam a part of the sump this weekend. This will provide flotation in the event I take on a butt-load of water and should dampen the noise a bit when walking around. I'm not going to foam the entire sump, because I want free flowing drainage too. Lastly, I've ordered pretty much everything else I need to finish this project. I have like 1000 Amazon boxes in my office now. More posts as I complete this project.

1963 Riverboat Restore Project 01 Jun 2018 19:38 #85516

Looking good! That's a really cool boat. You've come a long way with it. I did extensive research and this is the only blue Smurf boat I could find. Your boat looks nothing like it. All the other ones I found were brown and either oar or sail powered.

This message has an attachment image.

1963 Riverboat Restore Project 01 Jun 2018 18:16 #85514

• jabe
  • First Mate
  • First Mate
  • Thank you received: 1339
i see by the flag you chose a calm day to spray, lookin good.........

57' Fleet Ranger111-
57' Fleet Cartopper-
53' Deluxe Runabout-
56' Johnson's...Javelin, 2 x 30,15, and 7 1/2 hp
we have not inherited the earth from our fathers, we are borrowing it from our children

uppercanadachapteroftheaomci.yolasite.com/

1963 Riverboat Restore Project 01 Jun 2018 16:56 #85512

• elsimpso
  • Fresh Border
  • Fresh Border
So a lot has happened on the restore since I last posted. We have paint now...sorta. I finished as much stripping and sanding as I could stand. I got probably %99 of the paint off. I then primed it with a two part epoxy which went great. I'll admit I went a little overboard on the protective gear, and I nearly died from heat stroke. Once the primer was on I went to paint the final coats. I had been doing some research and was having a hard time selecting a paint that was the right type and color. I wanted a dark navy color, so I went to the local marine shop and they gave me a paint that was supposed to be dark blue. Turns out it was more like Smurf blue. I only painted one coat before I decided to switch paints. I order a different paint that is actually called 'Navy Blue' and I plan on putting that on this weekend. Hopefully I won't end up with a Smurf-boat again. Check out the fun pics.

1963 Riverboat Restore Project 06 May 2018 15:12 #84722

Hi, What an interesting find! There was mention of a double hulled Feathercraft over on the aomci website. See link attached.

aomci.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=16395

Last edit: by jbcanada.

1963 Riverboat Restore Project 04 May 2018 19:21 #84677

• sgower
  • Dreaded Pirate Roberts
  • Dreaded Pirate Roberts
  • riveted by design...
  • Thank you received: 936
If you plan on polishing this boat I would stay away from sanding of wire brushing. You will more then likely never get all the sanding marks out. Paint stripper would probably serve you better...

Steve Gower
Web Master http://www.feathercraft.net
Owner: 1955 Vagabond, 1958 35HP Johnson
1953 Deluxe Runabout

1963 Riverboat Restore Project 03 May 2018 14:19 #84603

• elsimpso
  • Fresh Border
  • Fresh Border
Continuing to make progress. Sanded down about 1/3 of the underside of the boat now. I have decided not to bother with completely stripping the middle of the hull, only the bottom sides as these will be seen, and its a lot more work to strip the middle. I also found my first hole, apparently repaired at some point, but in need of re-repair. I've got some marine epoxy that should do the trick. As far as the rivets, I've been extra careful and only used a light wire brush around them. That seems to do the trick. I ordered my primer and paint yesterday and should have it by Monday. The plan at this point is to finish sanding and detail work this weekend and to paint sometime next week. I'm really excited to get to this point. Hopefully all this prep work will pay off and I'll have a nice looking boat soon.

The following user(s) said Thank You: scoot

Time to create page: 0.126 seconds

Forum Statistics

• Total Users:1768
  • Latest Member:BK
  • Total Posts:80.8k
  • Total Topics:6344
  • Total Sections:9
  • Total Categories:22
  • Today Open:1
  • Yesterday Open:0
  • Today Answer:13
  • Yesterday Answer:13

Top Posters

Top Posters Posts
jabe 4703
VinTin 4493
Eagle127 4482
sgower 4441
Boatboy 3404
Locomotion 3269
BigBadJon 3077
Carol 2900
unclbuz 2698
Bikecop1 2454

Contact

How to get ahold of Us

www.featrcraft.net Command Central
52457 Robins Drive
New Baltimore, Michigan 48047

Webmaster

Steve Gower
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

810-614-0734

Support

for support
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Events

Event Coordinator

property of:

Feather Craft Technologies - Copyright © 2016 www.feathercraft.net