Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Steering cable guides

Steering cable guides 28 May 2018 03:48 #85395

• GB
  • Fresh Border
  • Fresh Border
  • Thank you received: 11

jmhyatt wrote: On my DR, the cables are slack when I tilt the motor up for trailering. They tighten when I lower the motor. So I just wrapped and ran both cables to the rear of the boat and connected them snugly around the rear pulleys while the motor was tilted up. When I drop the motor, the cables tighten to compress the springs about 1" on each side - what feels to me like a reasonable tension on the cable.

Thanks Jim, this technique has been extremely useful (mind saver actually) except for one caveat. When I lower the unit, I need to go all the way down before being able to light if up again (new Yamaha), which means that it can become too tight. It looks I actually bent the custom bent stainless steel bracket I got made for this motor ..

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

GB

1954 Deluxe Runabout
Last edit: by GB. Reason: double pic

Steering cable guides 28 May 2018 03:44 #85394

• GB
  • Fresh Border
  • Fresh Border
the brown piece is not the one I used but you can find equivalent one in the PVC plumbing section or in the electrical plastic/PVC conduit section. They come with different "outer diameters", in case your holes are more than ~1.25" diameter, which matches th 3/4" interior diameter

GB

1954 Deluxe Runabout

Steering cable guides 28 May 2018 03:36 #85393

• GB
  • Fresh Border
  • Fresh Border
Here are a few pics of the part#.
I have nothing to compare to really but the steering is fairly smooth

This message has attachments images.

The following user(s) said Thank You: VinTin, rushwal

GB

1954 Deluxe Runabout
Last edit: by GB.

Steering cable guides 26 May 2018 03:49 #85339

Yes, I did something similar for the shift/throttle cables on my DR. I used similar PVC fittings, but I used an un-threaded version. And where you are using Pex, I put a 3/4" thin-walled metal shower rod between the two bushings. So my throttle/shift cables run through the shower rod to the stern of the boat. But I did leave my steering cables exposed, in a straight line between the front and rear pulleys.

I should let others here respond about threading the steering cable, but I believe the standard rule is that you use 3 wraps of cable around your steering drum. This enough that you won't run out of cable when turning the motor to full stop on either side. And I believe in most cases you want to wrap the cable such that it exits off the top of the drum in both directions, rather than from the bottom. On my DR, the cables are slack when I tilt the motor up for trailering. They tighten when I lower the motor. So I just wrapped and ran both cables to the rear of the boat and connected them snugly around the rear pulleys while the motor was tilted up. When I drop the motor, the cables tighten to compress the springs about 1" on each side - what feels to me like a reasonable tension on the cable.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GB

Steering cable guides 26 May 2018 03:17 #85338

• rushwal
  • Powder Monkey
  • Powder Monkey
  • Thank you received: 394
I like that layout... do you have the part numbers for the connectors?

Steering cable guides 26 May 2018 02:41 #85337

• GB
  • Fresh Border
  • Fresh Border
Thanks Jim but I actually found something equivalent at Lowes and then came up with idea for n hybrid PEX tubing / bushing solutions. (picture below)
The benefit of the PEX tubing in my mind (opinion given that I have no experience so far with such boats) was that you can protect the cable and not necessary need as much of a straight line but the issue I experienced was that the tubing over time shifted and was getting jammed into the pulleys, which meant loss of steering and maybe cable breaking.
My solution is that the PEX tubing is prevented from moving in any direction by using the stackup I have on the picture aft and forward. With that in place I should not have to worry about little children hands getting pinched as I steer :)
I had to shorten the threaded part of the large grey PVC fitting to fit the female side. The black fiting just happens to fit right into the grey one and it matches the PEX tubing

I'll add a pic of the boat later when the sun comes back up

I have a question on the best procedure to rig the cable now.
Do you start by turning the motor all the way to one end (say front of motor pointing starboard), then attach the cable to the motor on the opposite side (port), then turn the wheel to the right to roll-in the port side cable. Then when the motor reaches the opposite side, attach the starboard cable?
In both cases, do I need to wind an extra turn or so of cable before winding/turning the wheel?
And do I need a helper to hold the motor or cables while I struggle under the dash or at the wheel?

This message has attachments images.

GB

1954 Deluxe Runabout

Steering cable guides 24 May 2018 21:57 #85268

Locomotion wrote:

buzzerbaits wrote:

RickG wrote:

buzzerbaits wrote: I have 125 of these if someone needs a few

...or, at 6 per boat, you could get 20.83 more boats! ;)

Naa. no more boat buying for a while. I'm getting ready to put one of my Golden Rockets up for sale soon...:(

Let me think about that..:hand:

You're bored and looking for something to do, I'll trade you a sawsall Golden Rocket for the finished one and you will be good to go B)

1947 Runabout
1956 Golden Rocket
1957 Vagabond
1955-6 Golden Rocket
2004 G3 Yamaha fishing boat

Steering cable guides 24 May 2018 14:59 #85262

Yes, I still have enough for one or two boats. (I found a small bag of them in the trunk of my car when I went to Arrowhead last weekend!) I answered your PM.

Steering cable guides 24 May 2018 04:04 #85259

• GB
  • Fresh Border
  • Fresh Border
Hi Jim
Do you still have some of those bushings?

GB

GB

1954 Deluxe Runabout

Steering cable guides 18 Apr 2018 13:01 #84052

buzzerbaits wrote:

RickG wrote:

buzzerbaits wrote: I have 125 of these if someone needs a few

...or, at 6 per boat, you could get 20.83 more boats! ;)

Naa. no more boat buying for a while. I'm getting ready to put one of my Golden Rockets up for sale soon...:(

You're bored and looking for something to do, I'll trade you a sawsall Golden Rocket for the finished one and you will be good to go B)

Ray

"Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world."
Arthur Schopenhauer

1956 Vagabond I - 50 HP Johnson
1950 Flyer - 50 HP Evinrude
1/2-195something Flash - KG7
1956 Golden Rocket, Sawzall Special
Time to create page: 0.106 seconds

Forum Statistics

• Total Users:1756
  • Latest Member:Coolvtfly
  • Total Posts:82.4k
  • Total Topics:6271
  • Total Sections:9