Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Yamaha F25SWC ?

Yamaha F25SWC ? 28 May 2018 04:34 #85398

• GB
  • GB's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Border
  • Fresh Border
  • Thank you received: 11

Locomotion wrote: If you go with the heaver ETEC make sure you try to minimize the weight of the other accessories such as the battery, gas tanks, etc.
This battery weighs 17# , most common marine starting batteries weigh about 40# + , this is the battery I use to start my 50 HP OMC which has higher than stock compression ratio.
www.batterymart.com/p-Big-Crank-ETX20L-Battery.html
The plastic gas tanks are lighter, the cable steering is lighter, look at everything you put in the boat with weight in mind.

When I went to get my brand new motor, the mechanic used a skidoo battery to start it. I looked up online and found these ATV batteries that have similar characteristics that listed in the quote but with even lighter weight (11 lbs):
super light battery

I think I'm going to give it a go

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

GB

1954 Deluxe Runabout

Yamaha F25SWC ? 20 Mar 2018 13:40 #83141

GB wrote:

Locomotion wrote: The Etec is a short shaft?

Well, you got right to the point.
The dealer came back to me today saying Evinrude stopped manufacturing short shafts for 25/30 HP, even though their website and catalog still list them. I
So, I just ordered the Yamaha (Zuke was even heavier). If everyone on board needs to get towards the bow to make it plane, I'm sure the family will find it fun.

As the official 25HP 4 strokes guinea pig , I will let you know how that goes

Next: upgrading the rest (cabling, floor). I will start a new post to document it

Keep weight in mind as you are doing the floors, it will all add up more than you think.

Ray

"Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world."
Arthur Schopenhauer

1956 Vagabond I - 50 HP Johnson
1950 Flyer - 50 HP Evinrude
1/2-195something Flash - KG7
1956 Golden Rocket, Sawzall Special

Yamaha F25SWC ? 20 Mar 2018 03:40 #83132

• GB
  • Fresh Border
  • Fresh Border
Jim, while doing some search on cabling, I found your first posts, pictures and mishaps, which reminded me of mine. :)
I can't wait to get on the water !

GB

1954 Deluxe Runabout

Yamaha F25SWC ? 20 Mar 2018 03:16 #83130

GB wrote: If everyone on board needs to get towards the bow to make it plane, I'm sure the family will find it fun.

I can assure you, you're going to have no problem getting on plane with any 25 HP motor on a DR, until your kids reach around 175 lbs each. The differences would be how snappy it is coming on plane (2 secs vs 5 secs to top speed), and maybe 2-3 MPH in top-end speed. You'll have a ball with any of the motors that have been discussed in this thread. IMHO, choosing short-shaft over long-shaft is more significant than any of the other differences between the Yamaha vs the Etec vs Suzuki.

Yamaha F25SWC ? 20 Mar 2018 01:41 #83118

• GB
  • Fresh Border
  • Fresh Border

Locomotion wrote: If you go with the heaver ETEC make sure you try to minimize the weight of the other accessories such as the battery, gas tanks, etc.
This battery weighs 17# , most common marine starting batteries weigh about 40# + , this is the battery I use to start my 50 HP OMC which has higher than stock compression ratio.
The plastic gas tanks are lighter, the cable steering is lighter, look at everything you put in the boat with weight in mind.

That is a neat little battery

GB

1954 Deluxe Runabout

Yamaha F25SWC ? 20 Mar 2018 01:35 #83116

• GB
  • Fresh Border
  • Fresh Border

Locomotion wrote: The Etec is a short shaft?

Well, you got right to the point.
The dealer came back to me today saying Evinrude stopped manufacturing short shafts for 25/30 HP, even though their website and catalog still list them. I
So, I just ordered the Yamaha (Zuke was even heavier). If everyone on board needs to get towards the bow to make it plane, I'm sure the family will find it fun.

Next: upgrading the rest (cabling, floor). I will start a new post to document it

GB

1954 Deluxe Runabout

Yamaha F25SWC ? 19 Mar 2018 20:28 #83097

The Etec is a short shaft?

Ray

"Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world."
Arthur Schopenhauer

Yamaha F25SWC ? 19 Mar 2018 14:55 #83092

If you go with the heaver ETEC make sure you try to minimize the weight of the other accessories such as the battery, gas tanks, etc.

Ray

Arthur Schopenhauer

Last edit: by Locomotion.

Yamaha F25SWC ? 19 Mar 2018 04:17 #83076

Note2: I also went to a lake boat show this morning to discuss the motor. Man, these new boats are so huge I really felt out of place.

Should have taken your boat...then you would have been the hit of the place. :)

I run a '57 35hp (135 lbs) on a DR. Ended up moving the fuel tanks into the rear cockpit to level it out after we took an angry wake over the transom. It squats a little low when loaded.

Bones

Some people mature with age whilst others ferment.
1954 Deluxe Runabout
1956 Ranger III
1959 SkiBo (2)

Yamaha F25SWC ? 19 Mar 2018 02:44 #83075

• GB
  • Fresh Border
  • Fresh Border
Thanks Locomotion. This is helpful info.
I really would rather get the 30HP Etec so I pulled the boat out of the snow (got stuck last week-end as my boat is down a slope and had to get the car towed, so I got a long tow rope and got the boat out today. Welcome to New England)
Then I went to the river, broke the ice sheet (no kidding), damaged a tail light and loaded the boat with about 500 lbs of bags of frozen mulch that I borrowed from the neighbor, including 66lbs on top of my motor + some gas and a battery. That should be close to my max load.
Let me tell you that I'm not going through that experiment again (super windy, <40 degree temperature, water level so high there is not much slope on the ramp and I could not fully bring the boat in the water while on the trailer)
Anyway, the extra weight on the motor does not make a huge difference on the freeboard on the stern but given that is started pretty low, that still needs attention .
Yet, seems definitely more a balancing weight problem and the steering being in the forward cockpit, at least the heaviest weight (me) would be at the right place.
What I failed to test was an empty boat with a heavier motor during the launch. But that should be OK based on the setup from Locomotion

Then I did some tests on the transom while on the trailer, adding a chunk of my weight to the motor. That is definitely not the concern.
So all in all, I'm leaning towards a 150lbs Etec, without PTT for weight mitigation (I know I will regret it :)

Note1: through all that, while doing my experiments, I managed to hit my own CAR with my boat.. I did not know that was possible. Can add that to my "troubled maiden voyage" post

Note2: I also went to a lake boat show this morning to discuss the motor. Man, these new boats are so huge I really felt out of place.

GB

1954 Deluxe Runabout
Time to create page: 0.098 seconds

Forum Statistics

• Total Users:1733
  • Latest Member:NewFC_Guy
  • Total Posts:80.5k
  • Total Topics:6194
  • Total Sections:9
  • Total Categories:22
  • Today Open:3
  • Yesterday Open:4