• Page:

TOPIC: Parts source needed for '64 Evinrude 40

Parts source needed for '64 Evinrude 40 13 Feb 2018 13:49 #82098

• WetWillie
  • WetWillie's Avatar Topic Author
  • Ship's Carpenter
  • Ship's Carpenter
  • Thank you received: 217
Thanks again, guys. I spoke with an old biking buddy of mine last night and described what I'm up against. He had, what I consider, a novel idea, take the housing to a marine mechanic and have him remove it.
I'll try to order the part today. I'll also go through all my sockets and see if I have one that'll work.
Update to follow.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Common sense has become so uncommon that I now consider it to be a super power.

Parts source needed for '64 Evinrude 40 13 Feb 2018 11:11 #82096

• Bikecop1
  • Away
  • Helmsman/Woman
  • Helmsman/Woman
  • Thank you received: 412

WetWillie wrote: Hey guys. It's part number 23 in the diagram bikecop posted. i also agree with WBeaton that its wisest to leave the bearing intact until I can put my hands on a replacement. As for its condition, the needles are a little rusty.
After gaining access to it by removing the seal, I noticed that the needles wouldn't turn at all. I'm guessing that some of them had rusted together. I used a small pick to break them free to the point where I can move all of them but can also, using the pick, feel the bearing surfaces are not entirely smooth.
I also examined the contact area on the shaft and was relieved to find no noticeable wear. I'm guessing that the bearing rusted since the last time it was run, however many yrs that was.
A thought I had that I'm not proud of but will mention none the less, is the idea of cleaning the needles as well as I can and then coating them with anti-sieze before reassembling. Like I prefaced, I'm not proud of the idea. :)
IF I can get a replacement, I'm going to try using a fine punch to collapse the outer race to enable its removal. I liked Ray's idea but can't imagine getting a grinder in to cut the race. Also, as for using a blind hole puller, I'd estimate there's only .010" of shoulder to contact between the bore and the bearing when looking from the opposite side.
Hey Neil, how did you get your's out?
THANKS to everyone that responded.

Part number 378578. Marine engine says they have 10+ in stock and here is one on ebay. . Check with Dan Gano too. When we pulled my 67 apart all of the needles fell out and they were discolored as if they had overheated. The lower was filled with thick grease and not gear oil so my guess was those bearing were never lubricated. If I remember correctly we used a socket extension inserted from the bottom with a tapered socket larger than the inside diameter of the bearing and beat it out with a hammer. The new bearing I took to a machine shop and we pressed it in. I'm sure there is some tool specially designed for the removal but we used what we had and it worked.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WetWillie

1951 Vagabond
1958 Johnson Super Seahorse 35
1959 Hawk II
1967 Evinrude 40
1957 Johnson Golden Javelin 35
1958 Cartopper
1955 Evinrude 7.5

Parts source needed for '64 Evinrude 40 13 Feb 2018 11:01 #82095

• jabe
  • Quartermaster
  • Quartermaster
  • Thank you received: 1069
hey Al, as i mentioned i only have the bottom 3 bearings, the '56's still used a bushing on the upper..........but i did have to get the race off the pinion gear, opposite situation.......and did it as Ray had mentioned using the die grinder to cut a relief in the race, which is a much easier chore than trying too get in at it, as with yours.........i can only sugggest maybe a dremmel tool with a small grinding wheel, then once a relief cut is made, use a long brass drift with a chisel edge.. with the housing turned up side down, go through the housing and try and tap it out.........best of luck

57' Fleet Ranger111-
57' Fleet Cartopper-
53' Deluxe Runabout-
56' Johnson's...Javelin, 2 x 30,15, and 7 1/2 hp
we have not inherited the earth from our fathers, we are borrowing it from our children

uppercanadachapteroftheaomci.yolasite.com/

Parts source needed for '64 Evinrude 40 13 Feb 2018 03:04 #82089

• WetWillie
  • Ship's Carpenter
  • Ship's Carpenter
Hey guys. It's part number 23 in the diagram bikecop posted. i also agree with WBeaton that its wisest to leave the bearing intact until I can put my hands on a replacement. As for its condition, the needles are a little rusty.
After gaining access to it by removing the seal, I noticed that the needles wouldn't turn at all. I'm guessing that some of them had rusted together. I used a small pick to break them free to the point where I can move all of them but can also, using the pick, feel the bearing surfaces are not entirely smooth.
I also examined the contact area on the shaft and was relieved to find no noticeable wear. I'm guessing that the bearing rusted since the last time it was run, however many yrs that was.
A thought I had that I'm not proud of but will mention none the less, is the idea of cleaning the needles as well as I can and then coating them with anti-sieze before reassembling. Like I prefaced, I'm not proud of the idea. :)
IF I can get a replacement, I'm going to try using a fine punch to collapse the outer race to enable its removal. I liked Ray's idea but can't imagine getting a grinder in to cut the race. Also, as for using a blind hole puller, I'd estimate there's only .010" of shoulder to contact between the bore and the bearing when looking from the opposite side.
Hey Neil, how did you get your's out?
THANKS to everyone that responded.

Parts source needed for '64 Evinrude 40 12 Feb 2018 22:07 #82083

• jabe
  • Quartermaster
  • Quartermaster
  • Thank you received: 1069
i just replaced, the 3 equivalents of #42,#54 and#38, they came too a total of 113.00 Can. through our local bearing supply place, if you have the numbers, they usually can cross reference them.....and bring them in with you, they can double check all the sizes to the matching bearing.....little tough if its the upper drive shaft bearing #23

when you replace the outer race back in, little somethin i do that i find helps....warm your casting up in the oven for 1/2 an hr at around 100F, at the same time put the race in a sandwich bag and throw it in the deepfreeze.......i find it will press back in much easier....i do the same with the shift rod bushing as well........

57' Fleet Ranger111-
57' Fleet Cartopper-
53' Deluxe Runabout-
56' Johnson's...Javelin, 2 x 30,15, and 7 1/2 hp
we have not inherited the earth from our fathers, we are borrowing it from our children

uppercanadachapteroftheaomci.yolasite.com/
Last edit: by jabe.

Parts source needed for '64 Evinrude 40 12 Feb 2018 15:56 #82082

• Boatboy
  • Armory Officer
  • Armory Officer
  • Thank you received: 489
All three of those bearings are available from MarineEngins.com. I assume you are referring to Bearing #32 on your diagram.

John

1958 Vagabond II & 35 HP Evinrude
1955 PlastiCraft 12 Ft. Delux Runabout
1957 Clipper & twin 35 HP Evinrudes
1957 AlumaCraft 14 Ft. FD
Last edit: by Boatboy.

Parts source needed for '64 Evinrude 40 12 Feb 2018 14:02 #82081

• Bikecop1
  • Away
  • Helmsman/Woman
  • Helmsman/Woman
  • Thank you received: 412

WetWillie wrote: I'd greatly appreciate it if someone would respond with a source for the driveshaft bearing that goes in the lower unit of my '64 Big Twin 40. Its the upper bearing, the one opposite the pinion gear. Its a Torrington needle bearing p/n BH1020. I haven't had any luck looking on Google, eBay or Amazon.
I'd also like some advice on how best to remove that little bugger as there really isn't much of a difference between the bearing and the bore its pressed in to to grab or tap against.

Which part number are u referring? # 23?

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

1951 Vagabond
1958 Johnson Super Seahorse 35
1959 Hawk II
1967 Evinrude 40
1957 Johnson Golden Javelin 35
1958 Cartopper
1955 Evinrude 7.5

Parts source needed for '64 Evinrude 40 12 Feb 2018 12:18 #82079

• wbeaton
  • Powder Monkey
  • Powder Monkey
  • Thank you received: 185
Definitely try a bearing supply house. The mark up on bearings and seals from the dealer is outrageous. Also, don’t attempt to remove that bearing until you have the new one in hand. Is the bearing completely shot or is this a preemptive repair? I’m not sure what the bearing you need looks like, but if it’s a Torrington with the skinny little needles it could be NLA and/or very expensive.

Wayne
Hamilton, ON

1955 Vagabond I w/ 1955 Mercury MK55 50 hp
1957 Ranger III w/ 1957 Evinrude Big Twin 35 hp (sold)

Volunteer for the uppercanadachapteroftheaomci.yolasite.com/

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Last edit: by wbeaton.

Parts source needed for '64 Evinrude 40 11 Feb 2018 02:43 #82064

• Boatboy
  • Armory Officer
  • Armory Officer
  • Thank you received: 489
Dan Gano sells NOS OMC parts and can be reached at: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.. Sea-Way Marine is another good source of NOS OMC parts.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WetWillie

John

1958 Vagabond II & 35 HP Evinrude
1955 PlastiCraft 12 Ft. Delux Runabout
1957 Clipper & twin 35 HP Evinrudes
1957 AlumaCraft 14 Ft. FD

Parts source needed for '64 Evinrude 40 11 Feb 2018 02:21 #82063

• WetWillie
  • Ship's Carpenter
  • Ship's Carpenter
Thanks guys. I thought I'd try a couple of bearing houses on Monday. The name Dan Gano doesn't ring a bell but I do like the idea of using a blind hole puller. Time to take a look at Harbor Freight's website. ;)
In light of how difficult the bearing is to access, I think using a die grinder might be a tough route to take. I'll take another look at it tomorrow.
Great avatars guys. :)

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.548 seconds

Forum Statistics

• Total Users:1690
  • Latest Member:ChuckP
  • Total Posts:78.1k
  • Total Topics:6063
  • Total Sections:9
  • Total Categories:22
  • Today Open:2
  • Yesterday Open:0
  • Today Answer:21