Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Feather Craft Flash.......Sold in 1951 and 1952.

Feather Craft Flash.......Sold in 1951 and 1952. 27 May 2019 23:11 #95808

The factory used a fabric like seal between the seams, I assume it was flexible when installed, I don't know for sure but I think it had some kind of sealer in it or on it that hardened. It will break like brittle paper when it's flexed now.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkEyes

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Ray

"Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world."
Arthur Schopenhauer

1956 Vagabond I - 50 HP Johnson
1950 Flyer - 50 HP Evinrude
1/2-195something Flash - KG7
1956 Golden Rocket, Sawzall Special

Feather Craft Flash.......Sold in 1951 and 1952. 25 May 2019 20:38 #95755

• HawkEyes
  • Boatswain's Mate
  • Boatswain's Mate
  • Thank you received: 585
Thanks Ray,
I did not know there was such a thing called seam sealer. Or I should say I did not know they used a sealer at the seams. I have used G flex before on a couple different projects, very cool stuff. Try.
"Jamestown Distributors" also. Good source for stuff like G flex and other marine stuff.

Mercury Marc, 1958 Hawk II. 1961 Merc 400

Feather Craft Flash.......Sold in 1951 and 1952. 25 May 2019 16:05 #95751

HawkEyes wrote: Sorry no pictures eather. I sat on the dock and gave her a once over too. I tried to remember the pictures you posted, areas that you worked on... and you did an outstanding job, the patch, and the Center structural piece and so on..... Super cool,
I do have a question though, what is the grey compound in between some of the rivets and such?

The seams on this boat had about 5 big baseball sized dents where the ribs terminated at the sides, once I beat the dents out and pushed the bottom back into place the seams loosened up to where a lot of the original seam seal broke up and fell out. After replacing a bunch of rivets in the seam and re-bucking all the rivets in the seam I used G-Flex from West Marine to seal the seam. You heat the metal up and the epoxy gets thin and flows into the seam. I use Aluminum oil based enamel paint over the epoxy to keep the sun from killing it.

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: VinTin, jabe, HawkEyes

Ray

"Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world."
Arthur Schopenhauer

Last edit: by Locomotion.

Feather Craft Flash.......Sold in 1951 and 1952. 25 May 2019 00:50 #95745

• HawkEyes
  • Boatswain's Mate
  • Boatswain's Mate
  • Thank you received: 585
Sorry no pictures eather. I sat on the dock and gave her a once over too. I tried to remember the pictures you posted, areas that you worked on... and you did an outstanding job, the patch, and the Center structural piece and so on..... Super cool,
I do have a question though, what is the grey compound in between some of the rivets and such?

Mercury Marc, 1958 Hawk II. 1961 Merc 400

Feather Craft Flash.......Sold in 1951 and 1952. 24 May 2019 23:52 #95737

• jabe
  • Away
  • Captain
  • Captain
  • Thank you received: 1859
i didn't take pics, but i did look er over........amazing.........true craftsman.....even Dans hammer banging looked good......along with his bucking.....close challange with my mother bucker...that mystery piece i caught a glimpse of, must bin a fitting of your seat.........so all said and done, i will be down in the fall.........looking forward too see er scoot accross the water........looks great Ray and Dan..............

57' Fleet Ranger111-
57' Fleet Cartopper-
53' Deluxe Runabout-
56' Johnson's...Javelin, 2 x 30,15, and 7 1/2 hp
we have not inherited the earth from our fathers, we are borrowing it from our children

uppercanadachapteroftheaomci.yolasite.com/

Feather Craft Flash.......Sold in 1951 and 1952. 24 May 2019 14:11 #95723

Well, Dan came up the weekend before Arrowhead and we just almost finished the Flash, or at least we did what we used to do when I was racing drag bikes, we stopped working on it and took it to the lake.
I had the pattern and form ready for the front bulkhead and Dan took the hammer to it,

We finished up the throttle control bracket and the rear seat,

The Flash made it to the water and it floats! I don't have photos but it did happen B)

We cranked on it for two days before John (MerkyJohnRude) showed up and got it running on the second pull :doh:

With an unknown prop and inexperienced driver (me) I didn't manage to get it up on plane. We had a bunch of props to try and I had wanted to get John to pilot a few test runs but I broke my pinky finger in Dan's other race boat and cruising with the crowd at Arrowhead took front seat to any more testing.
If anybody got photos please feel free to post, even if it's of me and Dan beating our heads against the wall.

This message has attachments images.

The following user(s) said Thank You: jabe, HawkEyes

Ray

Arthur Schopenhauer

Feather Craft Flash.......Sold in 1951 and 1952. 25 Apr 2019 22:23 #95006

• jabe
  • Away
  • Captain
  • Captain
do i see a mystery piece.......:hmm: ..........

seen your loose rivet comment for Dan..........is this part of the seat concept.........too keep that center brace from crawling between the cheeks as your kneeling and hanging on.........:arrr:

This message has an attachment image.

57' Fleet Ranger111-
57' Fleet Cartopper-
53' Deluxe Runabout-
we have not inherited the earth from our fathers, we are borrowing it from our children

Feather Craft Flash.......Sold in 1951 and 1952. 25 Apr 2019 16:26 #94984

• RickG
  • Powder Monkey
  • Powder Monkey
  • Thank you received: 610

Locomotion wrote: Just realized I may owe Nick $10K or so, and there's the taxes, I'm losing money again :doh:

Yeah, but you'll be able to make it up on volume. ;)

Feather Craft Flash.......Sold in 1951 and 1952. 25 Apr 2019 00:35 #94972

jabe wrote:

Locomotion wrote: HawkEyes Wrote: Not right now Ray, thank you....I need to take a break and enjoy what I have for a summer.

Oh, I'm going to take a break, the Flash will be out of the shop in the next week or so, I'm going to sweep up the mess and pull the Flyer in to do some TOP SECRET speed modifications before Arrowhead, then it's Rocket Time! :biggrin:

wish i lived closer...........:cookie:..........
instead of .50 cents an hr less materials, we coud sell them on B.A.T. for 50.00 bucks an hr, materials included........:arrr:

At $50.00 an hour the Flyer is going to bring $60,000.00, guess I'll have to let it go :hand:

Just realized I may owe Nick $10K or so, and there's the taxes, I'm losing money again :doh:
The following user(s) said Thank You: BigBadJon, TuPop, alanbiltz, jabe

Ray

Arthur Schopenhauer

Feather Craft Flash.......Sold in 1951 and 1952. 24 Apr 2019 23:43 #94970

• jabe
  • Away
  • Captain
  • Captain

Locomotion wrote: HawkEyes Wrote: Not right now Ray, thank you....I need to take a break and enjoy what I have for a summer.

Oh, I'm going to take a break, the Flash will be out of the shop in the next week or so, I'm going to sweep up the mess and pull the Flyer in to do some TOP SECRET speed modifications before Arrowhead, then it's Rocket Time! :biggrin:

wish i lived closer...........:cookie:..........
instead of .50 cents an hr less materials, we coud sell them on B.A.T. for 50.00 bucks an hr, materials included........:arrr:

57' Fleet Ranger111-
57' Fleet Cartopper-
53' Deluxe Runabout-

Last edit: by jabe.
Time to create page: 0.167 seconds

Forum Statistics

• Total Users:1966
  • Latest Member:FMCOKC
  • Total Posts:88.2k
  • Total Topics:6659
  • Total Sections:9
  • Total Categories:22
  • Today Open:0
  • Yesterday Open:0
  • Today Answer:2
  • Yesterday Answer:27

Top Posters

Top Posters Posts
jabe 5509
VinTin 4713
sgower 4618
Eagle127 4586
Locomotion 3836
Boatboy 3702
BigBadJon 3350
Carol 2905
unclbuz 2855
Bikecop1 2550

Contact

How to get ahold of Us

www.feathercraft.net Command Central
52457 Robins Drive
New Baltimore, Michigan 48047

Webmaster

Steve Gower
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

810-614-0734

Support

for support
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Events

Event Coordinator

Register

property of:

Feather Craft Technologies - Copyright © 2016 www.feathercraft.net