Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

New Member Intro: 20 Aug 2015 23:23 #50731

Hi all!
Had the great fortune to pick up a FC a few months back and stumbled across this fantastic site. My buddies neighbor had this thing sitting in his backyard for years. He finally relented and sold it to me, and I'm excited about working on this little beauty. From what I understand, it's a 1957 Rocket Runabout, but not sure how to distinguish the Runabout I and II. I'm sure there's a stamp to determine the exact model, but not sure where to look. I most likely overlooked it somewhere. Since purchasing, I've been removing all the external non-essentials, and completed that this past weekend. I took it in the yard and pressure washed to get the last remaining dirt and scum off, and then filled the hull with water to find any leaks. There are a couple small cracks in the hull and some rivets leak, but I have a TIG welder lined up to get the cracks fixed and I have access to a power riveter.
From there, I'm not sure what to do next. I want to try to restore to original including paint, but I have no idea what to do with the aluminum (polish, acid wash, etc). I've been on the different forums within the site, and read a lot, but just not sure where to begin. I'm taking it slow and really enjoying working her, and want to restore it correctly.
Any advice would be greatly welcome. Thanks in advance I'm looking forward to sharing the progress with like-minded enthusiasts.
I live near Charleston SC, so if there's anybody close that I could talk with that would be fantastic.
Thanks again!
Kent

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

New Member Intro: 30 May 2015 11:28 #47218

Ok.
So I was so excited late last month that I purchased one of these old boats that I got so wrapped up in gathering information about it that I totally missed the new member intro step. Given that, My name is Mark Fidler and I am from north central NY (Rome). I chose the user name chriscraft as I restored a 1956 18 foot Continental some years back and that boat is actually the one I use all summer. It stays in the water at a marina in Inlet NY. The Feathercraft will go lake to lake on camping trips that my wife and I take during the summer. I found what I believe ( with the help of a few members on this site) is a 51 Vagabond. I can't confirm that yet because the serial number is obscured by some sort of epoxy paint on the transom. A former owner removed the seats and put in a couple modern back to back seats and a plywood floor board. I will save where I am at with the restoration when I submit a thread in that forum.
In the short time that I have been on this site, I realize the enthusiasm and willingness to help from every member I have had contact with. I am happy to be part of this fraternity.
Oh yeah, I already named the boat "Tin Fish"...sorry Steve B) B)

Trouble logging out.... 29 May 2015 21:07 #47177

NOW -- thats a Jeep !! welcome Max
1946 Runabout
1948 Runabout

Last edit: by rivet-runner.

Trouble logging out.... 29 May 2015 12:46 #47165

Welcome Sir ! Nice Jeep.

Trouble logging out.... 29 May 2015 12:08 #47163

Nice jeep. Are you logged in on your smart phone too? That could be keeping you logged in if it is. Keep looking. Yours will pop up in time

Trouble logging out.... 29 May 2015 04:15 #47160

Hello gang, I thought I would introduce myself. My name is Max Dollinger I live in Louisville KY I own a 4x4 shop called Moab Offroad. I have a Aluminum Jeep CJ-8 that I have been building for the last year and learning a lot about polishing aluminum. Lol. I feel everyone's pain that has polished one of these beautiful boats. In the process of learning about polishing, my step dad gave me an Alumacraft 14ft. jon boat with a dilly tilt trailer (I think that is what it's called). I have been thinking that it would look good polished and being towed behind my Jeep. :) Not long after getting that boat I found pictures of the Feathercraft boats and fell in love. I also was given a Starcraft Jetstar recently (I think that is what it is). Long story short, I really enjoy the build threads on this forum and enjoy reading them. Which brings me to my question. Steve sent me a message about my user name always staying logged in. I'm not sure why it is doing that and when I log out and view the forum as a visitor it dosen't show me logged in??? Has anyone else had this trouble? Any help would be appreciated because I would love to stay a member of this forum and hopefully find a feathercraft!

Here are the pictures of my aluminum Jeep. I'll post pics of the boats asap.

Thanks,
Max

New Member Intro: 22 May 2015 11:51 #46812

New member intro page? Hmmm? Oh OK, I get it now! This is how you introduce yourself! :-) Alright, I got it! I can do this! :-)
Hello everyone, I'm the Sheepdog, and I'm a Feather Crafter! Altogether now," welcome Sheepdog, we understand, you're among friends here, and you've come to the right place! Tell us how you got hooked." Uh, I'm not hooked !!! " We understand. Just tell us how it all began." Well, OK. I was surfing Craigslist one night and I just saw her! All I was doing was looking at the used boat ads! I swear it! All the ad said was, " vintage aluminum boat in Asheville, NC." I'd never even heard of Feather Craft before ! How was I to know all of this would happen? I just couldn't take my eyes off this beauty, and her neglect. Somebody had to do something ! So I bought her ! My first Feather Craft! A '62 Hawk III needing completely redone, and missing lots of parts. I parked the Hawk about thirty miles south at a little getaway lake cottage we own. Where it's been sitting almost two years. Out of sight, out of mind. I had honorable intentions at first. But then life got busy. I had almost broken free of the Feather Craft's grip, and had decided to sell it. But while trying to ascertain it's value I recently stumbled upon feathercraft.net and it started up all over again. Once the ripples dissipated from the giant splash I made with my arrival on this site, DrChip ( new members beware ! ) informed me of a great deal fairly close to where I live, ( but a little out of his travel range ) on a couple FC's and three motors. So now I own three FC's. A '62 Hawk III named Sweat Pea:-) ,a '56 Deluxe Runabout named The Thelma Jean, and right now the pride of our fleet, a beautiful, golden, '58 Hawk II named Reminiscent, and six motors. Now I'm eagerly awaiting this thing I've heard of called Rivetpalooza!
My Wife recently stated: " within just days of you visiting that feathercraft.net website you bought two more boats! You've spent more than $ 2000.00 on Feather Craft stuff this month! She actually said; " if you keep up that pace, that's more than $ 22,000 in a year! The angry female sasquatch slowly dissipated and my sweet, beautiful Wife reappeared in the room when I calmly explained that nobody keeps up the pace of two boats a month ( except Dr Chip maybe ) and that this is just the initial investment in a great new hobby. And that now it's just $10 here and $25 there. No big deal. That afternoon I ordered $300 in parts from Dan Gano of Ganotech in Iowa. I don't think she's going for it. Anybody know where I can get a good deal on bananas? " Yes Sheepdog, you've definitely come to the right place! We want you to know that there is hope for you. There are several paths that can be taken towards recover. None of them are a quick fix though. It takes years of attending our meetings, surrounded by a support group that truly understands. But most of all you need balance! One of our resident Feather Craftologists, ( a DrChip you may have heard of ) suggests one good way of achieving such a balance is to acquire one of every model boat made by Feather Craft. Only then can one achieve inner peace. Welcome to the group! And good luck!
Gene P. Zeigler
The following user(s) said Thank You: BigBadJon

New Member Intro: 20 May 2015 03:33 #46728

LMAO! Ive been told of my problems too many times for me to repeat them. :hand:
1955 Vagabond
1956 30hp Evinrude Lark
1973 Glastron GT 150

New Member Intro: 19 May 2015 23:32 #46710

• jbcurt00
  • Helmsman/Woman
  • Helmsman/Woman
  • Actual FC Clipper owner :)
  • Thank you received: 376
I'm John, I have too many boats, and more motors then boats.

I know admitting you have a problem is the first step to recovery, so here goes:

I have a space, time and money problem..... NOT nearly enough of any of the 3.

Otherwise, after a quick system check, YEP, I'm good

New Member Intro: 19 May 2015 13:45 #46678

Hello,
My name is Nathan from Knoxville, TN.
I found my Fisher through a trade deal for my Grumman canoe... that was a trade for a S&W pistol, that was a trade for a 1963 Honda Cub, that was a trade for some labor :biggrin: .
I've really had a blast doing my little runabout conversion and hope to one day afford another more traditional FeatherCraft.

Oh, I'm a Leo, like long walks on the river front and am an avid Cyclist (Motor and Pedal).

I'm hooked, this place is great!

Time to create page: 0.236 seconds

Forum Statistics

• Total Users:2217
  • Latest Member:Shootrock
  • Total Posts:96.3k
  • Total Topics:7125
  • Total Sections:9
  • Total Categories:24
  • Today Open:0
  • Yesterday Open:2
  • Today Answer:3
  • Yesterday Answer:6