Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Old School 18 Oct 2019 16:21 #99868

• Photoguy
  • Photoguy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 164
That is a great quote. I have always been a fan of black and white photography. It gets rid of the extraneous content that color can bring and focuses more on the subject. I just happen to like it best when it's done with film.

Split wrote: P..G..... GREAT Work,, Interesting subject....Should be a future trend..... I had done personal pics almost 50 years.....
Not long ago I read a quote where ""Color is called Reproduction, where B & W is called Interpretation."

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Old School 18 Oct 2019 14:42 #99865

P..G..... GREAT Work,, Interesting subject....Should be a future trend..... I had done personal pics almost 50 years.....
Not long ago I read a quote where ""Color is called Reproduction, where B & W is called Interpretation."
1970 Mon-Ark 16 ft skiff
1957 Merc Mark 25

Old School 18 Oct 2019 12:41 #99862

Daguerreotypes have a hard learning curve. I am self taut using a book and correspondence with the only guy I could find to give me pointers before there was much of an internet to hold your hand through it. At the time I was learning there were less than a dozen known practitioners, now there are probably a hundred or two living who have made one. That message board, though very quiet most of the time, makes it much easier now than it was back then. It is relatively easy to get an image but difficult to get a great one. Right now there are three guys I can think of that make consistent great, artful images, the rest just take pictures using old techniques. One of these modern masters Jerry Spagnoli told me his "failure rate" is 3 in 5, mine felt like it was more like 99 in 100. The other two are Eric Mertins and Mike Robinson if your interested in seeing their work.
1952 Deluxe Runabout 1956 Johnson 30hp 1959 Deluxe Clipper 1973 Merc 500 50hp

Old School 18 Oct 2019 11:53 #99860

• Photoguy
Now that is some cool stuff right there. I am glad to hear that you saved your stuff. I've never tried that technique or a number of other historic processes. They are on my bucket list of things to do, unfortunately it's quite a long list. My only piece of advice is don't wait too long for that rainy day!

The Art Doctor wrote: Good looking shots!

Shot, processed and printed a lot of film until digital took over the professional documentation end of my work. I have dabbled in historic processes and cameras since the late 1990's. cdags.org/galleries/daguerreotypes-larry-shutts/

Not much time for it these days, but I saved all my equipment for the proverbial rainy day.

Old School 17 Oct 2019 19:59 #99847

Good looking shots!

Shot, processed and printed a lot of film until digital took over the professional documentation end of my work. I have dabbled in historic processes and cameras since the late 1990's. cdags.org/galleries/daguerreotypes-larry-shutts/

Not much time for it these days, but I saved all my equipment for the proverbial rainy day.
1952 Deluxe Runabout 1956 Johnson 30hp 1959 Deluxe Clipper 1973 Merc 500 50hp

Old School 17 Oct 2019 15:45 #99846

I know there has probably have been a lot of cool photos taken this summer that does not make it on the site.
It might help the calendar if we start a "calender thread" where we can post potential photos used for the upcoming calender.

Just a thought.
Click the link below for information on vintage Mercury restorations

Mercury Restorations

1957 Clipper / 1969 Merc 1000
Lake life is the best life
Jump in a boat and go
The following user(s) said Thank You: BigBadJon, WetWillie

Old School 17 Oct 2019 13:09 #99845

• Photoguy
Just choose what you want and let me know Big John!

BigBadJon wrote: Great work !! Carey and i would love to use some of your shots for the calender. Ill contact you in the next day or so.

Old School 17 Oct 2019 03:17 #99840

Great work !! Carey and i would love to use some of your shots for the calender. Ill contact you in the next day or so.

Old School 17 Oct 2019 02:47 #99839

Great Pics!

Old School 17 Oct 2019 01:26 #99830

Photoguy wrote: Thanks for the compliments. As for the calendar, I don't think people would want one of just my boat but if I ever get my northern rearend south to one of the Arrowhead gatherings it would be cool to set up shots of the different boats there. Idea for the future maybe?

All you have to do is show up and start snapping away. :hmm:

Click the link below for information on vintage Mercury restorations

Mercury Restorations

1957 Clipper / 1969 Merc 1000
Lake life is the best life
Jump in a boat and go

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.120 seconds

Forum Statistics

• Total Users:2356
  • Latest Member:Ranger3rob
  • Total Posts:100k
  • Total Topics:7343
  • Total Sections:9
  • Total Categories:24
  • Today Open:0
  • Yesterday Open:0
  • Today Answer:3