Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Pounding tin,Aluminum Ect. 03 Nov 2022 00:34 #123315

That video started with a picture of K-25. They built the first nuc with 40's tech.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Pounding tin,Aluminum Ect. 02 Nov 2022 23:46 #123313

Call it sheep if you want, just don't like seein' a man lose an arm in a machine, that's all.

Pounding tin,Aluminum Ect. 02 Nov 2022 23:22 #123312

Oh the good old days, back when men were men and sheep were nervous, now everyone wants to be sheep
The following user(s) said Thank You: BigBadJon, Eagle127

Pounding tin,Aluminum Ect. 02 Nov 2022 22:42 #123309

Fascinating video. I didn't realize they had that kind of capability to fabricate replacement parts in the field, or onboard ship.
And yes, the absence of personal safety gear, in addition to the lack of safety provisions on the machines. It made me cringe to watch those guys reaching in between the dies of that stamping press.

Pounding tin,Aluminum Ect. 02 Nov 2022 20:01 #123307

• scoot
  • Boatswain's Mate
  • Boatswain's Mate
  • Thank you received: 798
Or pouring lead without a respirator…….

Pounding tin,Aluminum Ect. 02 Nov 2022 19:11 #123305

Great soundtrack. Anyone else notice the absence of personal safety gear? Couldn't imagine handling sheet metal without wearing leather gloves. 
Keep on smiling through the rain

Pounding tin,Aluminum Ect. 02 Nov 2022 15:36 #123303

Love working on the boats and planes.  Saw this video and it took me back 40 yrs ago. One of the highlights of my career. I was part of the Flight Test program at Fairchild on the A-10 Warthog ..One night I took an hour and walked thru the Factory . One million Sq Ft of massive machine stamping out the fuselage and wing components.  The precise end results were overwhelming. It was about 2 yrs before the first handheld VCR cameras , I couldn't have taken footage anyhow. Highly restricted area.  The highlight was to taxi the aircraft to the Gun Range and sight in the GAU-8 at 1000 yrds. That 30 mil would spit out shells at 4000 rounds a minute. To prevent emptying the gun in seconds you would reach up to the HUD and select [Rounds Limit].  That would limit the rounds fired every time the trigger was pulled. I'd select 3 rounds for a good group. The plane had to be tied down as the recoil was 10,000 lbs. Every time you pulled the trigger , you couldn't read the instruments and your feet would dance on the Rudder pedals. It was fascinating time. . 80 Yrs ago it was being done on Aircraft carriers at a grand scale.. . Enjoy. PS,,why does nobody talk like this anymore ?  

The following user(s) said Thank You: jr, Locomotion, BigBadJon, Boatboy, Bikecop1, alanbiltz, WetWillie, VinTin

Last edit: by Eagle127.
Time to create page: 0.101 seconds

Forum Statistics

• Total Users:2718
  • Latest Member:Canuckcraft
  • Total Posts:114k
  • Total Topics:7818
  • Total Sections:9
  • Total Categories:24
  • Today Open:0
  • Yesterday Open:0
  • Today Answer:6