Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Buying off of marketplace and craigslist - Rant! 14 Jul 2021 16:17 #112748

Dave Innis "a guy on Here" bought an old motor from me and introduced me to the feather Craft world, the rest is history. 

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Vintage Mercury Restorations
Lake life is the best life
jump in a boat and go
1957 Clipper / 1969 Merc 1000

The following user(s) said Thank You: MKEV2

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Buying off of marketplace and craigslist - Rant! 14 Jul 2021 15:32 #112746

• AL13
  • Thank you received: 38
I buy a lot of stuff using FB. Rarely is that must have boat or motor where I live and FB opens up the country to me. That said, FB sellers and buyers are representative of the country as a whole. I have met some wonderful people and became friends that I maintain today and I have met some real A-holes. However, the good out weighs the bad.

Buying off of marketplace and craigslist - Rant! 14 Jul 2021 01:23 #112730

I saw a Vagabond 11 in a yard and looked at it but no one was home. I went two more times and no one was home either time. I stopped next door and got the owners number. I called and bought the boat. He worked out of town and ask me to pick it up Saturday. I did and when I got there he told me someone else had offered $250 more than I bought it for. He said I could take it at our agreed price or he would give me $250 and I could just drive off and leave it there. He said his word was worth more than $250. Good person to do business with.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BigBadJon, Boatboy, RickG, MKEV2, MercuryMarc, AL13

Buying off of marketplace and craigslist - Rant! 13 Jul 2021 14:32 #112717

• JR
  • Away
  • Powder Monkey
  • Powder Monkey
  • Thank you received: 628
yep me too. Never had a problem doing it that way. For those guys that never show.....Money Talks and Bull Sh--T Walks.
1956 Golden Rocket, 1955 Vagabond, 1957 Crestliner Voyager Hardtop, 1958 Crestliner Jetstreak 15, past boats: 54 Vagabond, 55 Vagabond, 57 Vagabond, 50 FC Flyer, 46 FC Runabout, 57 FC Rocket, 57 Jetstreak
The following user(s) said Thank You: MKEV2, MercuryMarc

Buying off of marketplace and craigslist - Rant! 13 Jul 2021 13:17 #112716

• RickG
  • Ship's Doctor
  • Ship's Doctor
  • Thank you received: 1136
It's a shame  people aren't more honorable about this stuff but, unfortunately, that's the state of our world now.  Agree with OhioLSA. That's how I do it too, but urge the potential buyer who's chance it is to call or text me when they're headed this way along with an ETA. 
When selling a truck a couple years ago, the buyers arrived out of order. Second guy thought he could get a jump if he showed up first.  He had to wait until the first guy showed up, took a test drive, and bought the truck.  Second guy wasn't happy, but at least respected the process.
"When you do good, nobody will notice. When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all."

'54 Vagabond - '55 Mark 55
Etched Panels & Plates
The following user(s) said Thank You: VinTin, MKEV2

Last edit: by RickG.

Buying off of marketplace and craigslist - Rant! 13 Jul 2021 02:59 #112711

Whenever I've sold something, and get more than one interested buyer, I tell everyone up front where they stand: "There's one person already coming to look at it, this afternoon. If they don't buy it, you're next in line. I'll call you and let you know if the first person doesn't buy it."

It just seems like common courtesy to deal with people in the order in which they contact me, and to be honest with everyone.

That's the way to do it.

Agreed!!

Buying off of marketplace and craigslist - Rant! 13 Jul 2021 02:52 #112710

Whenever I've sold something, and get more than one interested buyer, I tell everyone up front where they stand: "There's one person already coming to look at it, this afternoon. If they don't buy it, you're next in line. I'll call you and let you know if the first person doesn't buy it."

It just seems like common courtesy to deal with people in the order in which they contact me, and to be honest with everyone.

That's the way to do it.

Just getting used to the lay of this land.

Buying off of marketplace and craigslist - Rant! 13 Jul 2021 02:12 #112704

Completely understand the frustration, I had one guy call, say he just left the bank and will be there in 15... never heard from him again.  
1954 "utility" 58 Evinrude 5.5 hp
1958 "lark" 2017 Evinrude 15 hp
1960 "cisco2 " 1977 Evinrude 6 hp

Buying off of marketplace and craigslist - Rant! 13 Jul 2021 01:17 #112700

The following user(s) said Thank You: BigBadJon, VinTin, MKEV2

Buying off of marketplace and craigslist - Rant! 13 Jul 2021 01:14 #112699

Buying from Craigslist is pretty tough, I would keep my word if I agreed to accept the other guys word that it was a done deal.

Proud Owner of 1956 Vagabond, 1950 Flyer, 1956 Rocket, Co-owner 1952 Flash, 10-1/2 less than VinTin

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.102 seconds

Forum Statistics

• Total Users:2496
  • Latest Member:Opieone28
  • Total Posts:104k
  • Total Topics:7484
  • Total Sections:9
  • Total Categories:24
  • Today Open:0
  • Yesterday Open:0
  • Today Answer:24