Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: These were great times..

These were great times.. 22 Feb 2020 22:37 #102284

McDonnell Douglas was a fantastic company ! Their technology and Quality was on par with Lockheed. Boeings problem started at the top. If you would have told me that Boeing would ever cover up information ,,I would have thought it was impossible . The company has always been at the forefront of Integrity . I still don't know what the hell is going on with the 737 Max. There is no way it's an auto pilot problem . Autopilots are built so the crew has full authority to override the A/P.[Except Airbus] And software updates are easy. Takes a minute. Oh,,I never met an airplane that has A/P software updates. That doesn't mean it isn't out there. I think it is more of a problem with the TCC [Thrust control computer] interface with the A/P . That,,, is what compensates for the linear CG shift from the new pylon design . Putting the moment of thrust that far forward causes pitch up problems at upper throttle settings. The TCC sends a signal from the EPR system. They built an unstable platform with the Max aircraft and tried to compensate with a subsystem . It was a scab patch. As far as the Airbus,,I spent 15 yrs swearing at them. Not a bad airplane,,but not a great airplane. They cut a lot of corners building those planes. 28 gauge wire in the wings !!! The fuselage is so weak it has to be reinforced with panhard braces everywhere. Thin walled hyd tubing that blows out all the time. 90% of them you can't even dump fuel. In the end,,,,the two toughest airliners ever built..DC-8-73 and the 727-200 . Boeing will survive. If it doesn't there will be 100,000 people jobless but the COE,CFO and board members going home with their pockets full of the booty . Oh yeah when the Airbus Flight control computer overrides the crew.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Eagle127.

These were great times.. 22 Feb 2020 20:04 #102283

It's pretty sad to see what's happened to Boeing. In a relatively short period of time, they went from the premier name in the aviation industry to one that's become a run of the mill manufacturer. The 737 woes began long before the Max, because of the bean counter mentality that dominates the 'new' Boeing. The 737 was revolutionary, in it's heyday, but more recent models have been largely reviled by the pilots who had to fly them because of idiotic things like MCAS. Trying to fix a design flaw by introdcing another problem is NOT a solution.

I'm not an Airbus fan, by any stretch, but I see them becoming the largest aircraft manufacturer in the future. Unless something changes drastically, Boeing might find itself filling the same role MD did back in the 80's and 90's. Building cheap, crappy aircraft for lower end operators that no one likes to pilot or ride on should not be an aspiration.

Boeing is merely one example of many once preeminent US companies that have been reduced to mediocrity by 'profits above all' management. Consider IBM, ATT, HP, Zerox, and countless others. Such is the nature of business in the 21st century. End of rant.

Last edit: by Barefeet.

These were great times.. 22 Feb 2020 18:43 #102282

• RickG
  • Helmsman/Woman
  • Helmsman/Woman
  • Thank you received: 746

Kingfisher wrote: ...Back in those days, one had a choice of planes as well as carriers. The company saying was, "if it ain't Boeing, i ain't going". When I had to fly on a McDonald Douglas plane, they really seemed to shake and rattle on takeoff.

Sadly, it looks like Boeing's acquisition of McDonnell-Douglas might end up being it's undoing. ...And another.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Barefeet

Last edit: by RickG.

These were great times.. 22 Feb 2020 01:38 #102271

The 747 is a great plane. In the seventies, I worked for Boeing as an outside production buyer. OP buyers contracted/purchased parts and sub-assemblies that were not made in house such as engines, avionics, windows, tires, etc. We joked about spending a million dollars by noon and borrowing two dollars for lunch. It was interesting learning about all the 7x7 planes and the Boeing military aircraft from a parts perspective.
Back in those days, one had a choice of planes as well as carriers. The company saying was, "if it ain't Boeing, i ain't going". When I had to fly on a McDonald Douglas plane, they really seemed to shake and rattle on takeoff.

Keep the prop wet and the humor dry.

These were great times.. 20 Feb 2020 10:42 #102230

Eagle127 wrote: I flew in and worked on the best of them and the rattiest of them...Every one was a great airplane that instilled confidence to the crew. One night in LCK we had an inbound. As I debriefed the crew they told me they had a left inboard gear door fault after the gear was lowered. I told them I would adjust the switch and they left. When I walked down to check the switch I was shocked..The switch was fine ,,the 20 ft Door was GONE..We notified all the local media and described its physical attributes..About 2 hrs later a Farmer called and said he had found the Door. Two techs were dispatched with a cube van to recover the component..When they returned and opened the doors,,all of us dropped to the ground in laughter ......It took a few minutes before one guy identified the component...No matter how we aligned the part,,,,we never got that 1960 Cadillac hood to fit that 747......Never found the gear door
..:lol:

Now that's funny!!!

These were great times.. 20 Feb 2020 04:42 #102229

I flew in and worked on the best of them and the rattiest of them...Every one was a great airplane that instilled confidence to the crew. One night in LCK we had an inbound. As I debriefed the crew they told me they had a left inboard gear door fault after the gear was lowered. I told them I would adjust the switch and they left. When I walked down to check the switch I was shocked..The switch was fine ,,the 20 ft Door was GONE..We notified all the local media and described its physical attributes..About 2 hrs later a Farmer called and said he had found the Door. Two techs were dispatched with a cube van to recover the component..When they returned and opened the doors,,all of us dropped to the ground in laughter ......It took a few minutes before one guy identified the component...No matter how we aligned the part,,,,we never got that 1960 Cadillac hood to fit that 747......Never found the gear door
..:lol:
The following user(s) said Thank You: BigBadJon, RickG, jabe, MercuryMarc, The Art Doctor, Barefeet

These were great times.. 20 Feb 2020 03:14 #102228

I can remember when the 747 was entering production and Boeing was training all the airline's pilots at the former Schilling Air Force base in Salina, Kansas. We got to see those magnificent machines in flight every day, as we did with the BUFFs out of Offutt doing low level bombing training over western Kansas. Both influened my decision to become a pilot.

People came to Salina from all over the country, just to see the 747s fly. Like you, I was in awe that the 747 somehow did fly, and that it did it gracefully. Boeing held an open house for locals to tour the 747 at Schilling, at least a year before they were put into service. It was an experience that I never forgot, because as amazing as the craft's exterior looked, it's interior was without compare. The cockpit was straight out of science fiction, and the Sky Lounge blew my mind.

Great times indeed.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Eagle127

These were great times.. 19 Feb 2020 02:05 #102201

The 747 is a great airplane...Every night when I climbed up to the cockpit I would think,,,,Even though I know how it flies ,,,,,,,how the hell does this thing fly !!!!

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.246 seconds

Forum Statistics

• Total Users:2085
  • Latest Member:beznay
  • Total Posts:92.9k
  • Total Topics:6911
  • Total Sections:9
  • Total Categories:24
  • Today Open:0
  • Yesterday Open:2
  • Today Answer:0
  • Yesterday Answer:45

Top Posters

Top Posters Posts
jabe 5671
VinTin 4949
sgower 4717
Eagle127 4690
Locomotion 4164
Boatboy 3926
BigBadJon 3585
unclbuz 2983
Carol 2951
Bikecop1 2628

Contact

How to get ahold of Us

www.feathercraft.net Command Central
52457 Robins Drive
New Baltimore, Michigan 48047

Webmaster

Steve Gower
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

810-614-0734

Support

for support
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Events

Event Coordinator

Register

property of:

Feather Craft Technologies - Copyright © 2016 www.feathercraft.net