Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Another reason to like outboards!

Another reason to like outboards! 23 Jul 2019 17:47 #97645

Locomotion wrote: fingerlakes1.com/2019/07/21/batavia-coup...ion-in-hammondsport/

I was fishing on Keuka saturday morning. I wonder where exactly this happened.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Another reason to like outboards! 21 Jul 2019 21:27 #97613

Locomotion wrote: Mr.
I have never seen a steering failure that was not due to neglect or improper installation.

Ray,,you just described 98.5 % of all mechanical failures..... :biggrin:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Locomotion, rushwal

Last edit: by Eagle127.

Another reason to like outboards! 21 Jul 2019 17:24 #97609

• Locomotion
  • Locomotion's Avatar Topic Author
  • Ship's Engineer
  • Ship's Engineer
  • Thank you received: 1416
Mr. Bud King, a mighty fine gentleman who Nick introduced a bunch of us Feather Crafters to was one of the early Flying Boatmen.
I asked him one time if any of the Flying Boatmen had ever experienced a failure of the cable steering system, he replied "No, but, we had a policy that every boat at every show and every practice session was closely inspected including every component of the steering system and every fastener and motor clamp.
I have never seen a steering failure that was not due to neglect or improper installation.

Ray

"Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world."
Arthur Schopenhauer

1956 Vagabond I - 50 HP Johnson
1950 Flyer - 50 HP Evinrude
1/2-195something Flash - KG7
1956 Golden Rocket, Sawzall Special

Another reason to like outboards! 21 Jul 2019 15:50 #97607

Happened to one of our pilots. Said the kids were at his lake house with friends. Decided they were going to take the boat out without Mikes knowledge. $25,000 damage,,nobody hurt. Always wondered why they never ran the ignition through a LEL sensor ? pksafety.com/blog/gas-detection-how-cata...nsors-are-important/

Russ I saw Merc George break a steering pulley at over 3o mph. That boat went 90 Deg in 1 second. I can't believe it didn't throw him out.

Last edit: by Eagle127.

Another reason to like outboards! 21 Jul 2019 15:35 #97606

• TuPop
  • Powder Monkey
  • Powder Monkey
  • Thank you received: 334
Then there's the outboard story. I was skiing with Kathy and the kids in the boat. We had a Sidewinder with a Mercury 150. These guys in a Baha with a big Merc. came around us and it looked to me like they kind of cut Kathy off. Suddenly, their boat shot up in the air. I remember seeing one of the guys flying thru the air. The boat landed and settled down and I went out to the side, asking the guy in the water if he was ok. He told me he was good but check on his friend. His friend, still in the boat stood up and I could see his intestines were hanging out. I let go of the rope and told him to hold them in. He had come down on the windshield and the aluminum extrusion snapped in half and stabbed him in the gut. This was before cell phones so we towed them to a nearby house where the ambulance picked him up. As it turns out, the motor on their boat was not thru bolted. I saw one of them months later at the ramp and he said his buddy was ok but spent a month in the hospital. Every time I see one of us doing a spin out with an engine that isn't thru bolted I think of this. Guys, gals, be careful!
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkEyes

The Rivethead formerly known as Russ
Last edit: by TuPop.

Another reason to like outboards! 21 Jul 2019 15:20 #97605

• TuPop
  • Powder Monkey
  • Powder Monkey
  • Thank you received: 334
When I was a kid, I was skiing and heard a boom. There was an explosion at a marina nearby. We rode over there and at the gas pumps was an old Chris Craft runabout missing the back of the boat. There was wood all over and the boat was blown away right to the water line, still floating. The engine was sitting there in full view. The owner didn't get hurt but he was shook up.

The Rivethead formerly known as Russ

Another reason to like outboards! 21 Jul 2019 13:38 #97601

• Locomotion
  • Locomotion's Avatar Topic Author
  • Ship's Engineer
  • Ship's Engineer
  • Thank you received: 1416

Ray

"Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world."
Arthur Schopenhauer

1956 Vagabond I - 50 HP Johnson
1950 Flyer - 50 HP Evinrude
1/2-195something Flash - KG7
1956 Golden Rocket, Sawzall Special
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.118 seconds

Forum Statistics

• Total Users:1966
  • Latest Member:FMCOKC
  • Total Posts:88.2k
  • Total Topics:6659
  • Total Sections:9
  • Total Categories:22
  • Today Open:0
  • Yesterday Open:3
  • Today Answer:17
  • Yesterday Answer:41

Top Posters

Top Posters Posts
jabe 5507
VinTin 4713
sgower 4618
Eagle127 4586
Locomotion 3835
Boatboy 3702
BigBadJon 3350
Carol 2905
unclbuz 2854
Bikecop1 2550

Contact

How to get ahold of Us

www.feathercraft.net Command Central
52457 Robins Drive
New Baltimore, Michigan 48047

Webmaster

Steve Gower
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

810-614-0734

Support

for support
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Events

Event Coordinator

Register

property of:

Feather Craft Technologies - Copyright © 2016 www.feathercraft.net