Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: COMPLETELY RANDOM

COMPLETELY RANDOM 21 Feb 2019 00:00 #93537

• nsul8r25
  • Powder Monkey
  • Powder Monkey
  • Thank you received: 718
Told my wife I want this tattoo, but with me driving a FC! Complete with the transom and outboard on the back....think a part of her thinks that I am serious :tongue:

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

'58 Vagabond II / '56 Evinrude Lark 30hp
'53 Experimental Flyer / '56 Evinrude Big Twin 30hp
'51 Penguin / '49 Johnson TD20 5hp
'52 Cheif / 1957 Johnson FD11 18hp

COMPLETELY RANDOM 20 Feb 2019 00:50 #93504

• nsul8r25
  • Powder Monkey
  • Powder Monkey

This was from Saturday here in Michigan. Pretty scary site of a moron in his natural state, assisted by large consumption of alcohol. He was arrested at the hospital once he was checked out for being under the influence. Insurance doesn't cover once you drive out on the ice, EPA fines are substantial and the recovery fees are monumental. Speculation put estimates around 80-100k this genius is facing including all the fees and fines for being under the influence. They removed the truck on Sunday, it was in 12' waters, 850' off the shore.

COMPLETELY RANDOM 19 Feb 2019 23:29 #93503

• nsul8r25
  • Powder Monkey
  • Powder Monkey

jmhyatt wrote: What's the shovel for? It looks like the guy is just Photoshopped into the picture!

I learned an interesting thing about water during a lunch conversation a couple weeks ago. Maybe I'm the only one who hasn't heard it; wouldn't be the first time... We all know that water becomes less dense when it freezes, right? Because ice floats on water. But I didn't realize that this "expansion" starts while it's still liquid: as it goes from 32 deg to 39 deg, water becomes more dense, then as it's temperature increases from 39 deg to boiling, it becomes less dense. What this means is that cold water sinks to the bottom of a lake (as we've all felt when swimming), but as it approaches freezing, it rises again to the top, where it freezes. If this "inversion" didn't happen, then a lake would freeze from the bottom, and would become a solid block of ice.

Jeff,
That is not exactly what happens. The lake will continuously cycle from top to bottom as the temperatures at the surface drop and the bottom of the lake maintains a warmer temperature, heating the bottom water. When the temp gets cold enough, the surface will freeze before it can sink to the bottom and is now in the solid state that floats. It is a constant battle of the top surface cooling and freezing ice as the bottom continues to warm, but cannot keep up with the top temperatures that continue to freeze. Snow on the ice will slow the building of the ice as it works as an excellent insulator. Ice fisherman hate to see an early buildup of snow on new ice, we would much rather have a few really cold days and nights without the precipitation to interfere with the build up.

As for the shovel, whjo knows what he was doing. May have been a walking stick, he didn't have a spud bar and was going to chip a hole with a spade shovel. This would NOT be my choice of tool for this, but can work. It is pretty amazing how clear the water gets once it has frozen, the waves, winds and boats stop stirring up the water and everything has cycled to the bottom. Get into a shanty with some shade, drill a hole and sit back and watch the action. A good friend said it best, it is TV fishing. You watch down your hole as the wildlife moves along below you, just like you are looking at an aquarium. Would rather ice fish any day over traditional fishing... it is a blast!

COMPLETELY RANDOM 19 Feb 2019 13:38 #93496

• rushwal
  • Powder Monkey
  • Powder Monkey
  • Thank you received: 482

jmhyatt wrote: What's the shovel for? It looks like the guy is just Photoshopped into the picture!

I learned an interesting thing about water during a lunch conversation a couple weeks ago. Maybe I'm the only one who hasn't heard it; wouldn't be the first time... We all know that water becomes less dense when it freezes, right? Because ice floats on water. But I didn't realize that this "expansion" starts while it's still liquid: as it goes from 32 deg to 39 deg, water becomes more dense, then as it's temperature increases from 39 deg to boiling, it becomes less dense. What this means is that cold water sinks to the bottom of a lake (as we've all felt when swimming), but as it approaches freezing, it rises again to the top, where it freezes. If this "inversion" didn't happen, then a lake would freeze from the bottom, and would become a solid block of ice.

More icy weirdness
The following user(s) said Thank You: VinTin, jmhyatt, jabe

COMPLETELY RANDOM 19 Feb 2019 09:37 #93493

nsul8r25 wrote: Here's a pic from northern lower peninsula of Michigan. Anyone game to head out there? Check out his shadow on the bottom of the lake in lower right corner of the pic... Lake Charlevoix, beautiful lake just off of Lake Michigan.

Dave, I took a vacation on Lake Charlevoix last summer, it is beautiful. There was a boat house for sale near the marina, 4.2 million :ohmy:

Mercury Marc, No trailer Queen here! 1958 Hawk II, 1961 Merc 400 x2, 1955 Mark 25E. 1953 Mark 20

COMPLETELY RANDOM 18 Feb 2019 05:13 #93479

• jmhyatt
  • Away
  • Buccaneer
  • Buccaneer
  • Thank you received: 264
What's the shovel for? It looks like the guy is just Photoshopped into the picture!

COMPLETELY RANDOM 18 Feb 2019 03:50 #93478

• Boatboy
  • Away
  • Ship's Engineer
  • Ship's Engineer
  • Thank you received: 732
Beautiful picture of black ice on clear clean water.

John

1958 Vagabond II & 35 HP Evinrude
1955 PlastiCraft 12 Ft. Delux Runabout
1957 Clipper & twin 35 HP Evinrudes
1957 AlumaCraft 14 Ft. FD

COMPLETELY RANDOM 18 Feb 2019 01:23 #93475

• nsul8r25
  • Powder Monkey
  • Powder Monkey
Here's a pic from northern lower peninsula of Michigan. Anyone game to head out there? Check out his shadow on the bottom of the lake in lower right corner of the pic... Lake Charlevoix, beautiful lake just off of Lake Michigan.

The following user(s) said Thank You: rushwal, jabe

Last edit: by nsul8r25.

COMPLETELY RANDOM 13 Feb 2019 01:19 #93413

I enjoy watching the tool restoration guy as well. Very High Production value.

54 Vagabond
40 hp 1961 Lark iV

COMPLETELY RANDOM 12 Feb 2019 21:23 #93408

• jabe
  • Captain
  • Captain
  • Thank you received: 1512
why would anyone want too go to Florida, when ya can have all this fun in the sun right here.....when the sun comes out that is........:doh:

I know it ain't much for all us who play in this weather, many others get it worse for sure......we bin dang lucky again this yr........hardest part is controlling the ice build up from thaw to refreeze.......

57' Fleet Ranger111-
57' Fleet Cartopper-
53' Deluxe Runabout-
56' Johnson's...Javelin, 2 x 30,15, and 7 1/2 hp
we have not inherited the earth from our fathers, we are borrowing it from our children

uppercanadachapteroftheaomci.yolasite.com/
Last edit: by jabe.
Time to create page: 0.131 seconds

Forum Statistics

• Total Users:1815
  • Latest Member:Catimini
  • Total Posts:83.2k
  • Total Topics:6434
  • Total Sections:9
  • Total Categories:22
  • Today Open:0
  • Yesterday Open:2
  • Today Answer:5
  • Yesterday Answer:29

Top Posters

Top Posters Posts
jabe 5014
sgower 4531
VinTin 4523
Eagle127 4514
Boatboy 3524
Locomotion 3446
BigBadJon 3188
Carol 2900
unclbuz 2747
Bikecop1 2490

Contact

How to get ahold of Us

www.feathercraft.net Command Central
52457 Robins Drive
New Baltimore, Michigan 48047

Webmaster

Steve Gower
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

810-614-0734

Support

for support
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Events

Event Coordinator

Register

property of:

Feather Craft Technologies - Copyright © 2016 www.feathercraft.net