Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Arrowhead Long Riders 18 Sep 2020 01:32 #107664

VinTin wrote:

MercuryMarc wrote: [

Good thing I'm not leading the way :tongue: :mums:

I'll print you out a detailed map in case you get to far ahead. LOL!

I bought a map from Louanne last fall. Everything looks different when your on the water. :tongue:
Click the link below for information on vintage Mercury restorations

Mercury Restorations

1957 Clipper / 1969 Merc 1000
Lake life is the best life
Jump in a boat and go

The following user(s) said Thank You: WetWillie

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Arrowhead Long Riders 17 Sep 2020 03:37 #107647

VinTin wrote:

MercuryMarc wrote: I always like going to Long island Marina too. that's past Watts bar lock right? I would do my best to lead the way for a Thursday run.

There are no locks between Arrowhead Resort and Long Island Marina.

Good thing I'm not leading the way :tongue: :mums:

Mercury Restorations

Jump in a boat and go

Arrowhead Long Riders 16 Sep 2020 13:09 #107635

MercuryMarc wrote: I always like going to Long island Marina too. that's past Watts bar lock right? I would do my best to lead the way for a Thursday run.

The gentleman with a six cylinder Merc said something about "doing his best to lead the way." I can't believe that got no response from Ray.
1955 Vagabond
1956 30hp Evinrude Lark
1973 Glastron GT 150
The following user(s) said Thank You: jabe

Last edit: by alanbiltz.

Arrowhead Long Riders 16 Sep 2020 01:11 #107610

That works for me Ray and understandable, I'm easy going.

I will go where the boating gods take me :lol:

Mercury Restorations

Jump in a boat and go

The following user(s) said Thank You: BigBadJon

Arrowhead Long Riders 16 Sep 2020 00:57 #107607

Marc,

Cottonport Marina and Campground is where we went after locking through Watts Bar Dam onto Chickamauga Lake.
I haven't proposed a lock through due to the difficulty of social distancing in the locks (not to mention some of the difficulties we have had keeping everybody operation through the lock). It's easy enough to navigate if people want to do it, just stay on the Tennessee River and stop at the first Marina on the left ;-)
Long Island Marina is on the way to Fort Loudon Dam which is the furthermost point from Arrowhead on Watts Bar Lake, 54 miles one way.
Proud Owner of 1956 Vagabond, 1950 Flyer, 1956 Rocket, Co-owner 1952 Flash, 10-1/2 less than VinTin
The following user(s) said Thank You: MercuryMarc

Last edit: by Locomotion.

Arrowhead Long Riders 15 Sep 2020 23:34 #107603

VinTin wrote:

There are no locks between Arrowhead Resort and Long Island Marina.

Okay, Long island to the right clinch River to the left, split?

But I am thinking of the campground where we order lunch and look over the river.

Mercury Restorations

Jump in a boat and go

Last edit: by MercuryMarc.

Arrowhead Long Riders 15 Sep 2020 21:23 #107594

I always like going to Long island Marina too. that's past Watts bar lock right? I would do my best to lead the way for a Thursday run.

Mercury Restorations

Jump in a boat and go

Last edit: by MercuryMarc.

Arrowhead Long Riders 15 Sep 2020 20:10 #107593

So, all you long riders said you wanted a long ride but all we have planned is one ride Friday up the Tennessee to the Clinch and Emory River to Harriman.

That's plenty for me, I have a lot of fun just knocking around the middle of Watts Bar Lake.

If anyone does want to try to organize a long ride now is the best time, once everyone's scattered around the lake you will have better luck herding chickens ;-)
Proud Owner of 1956 Vagabond, 1950 Flyer, 1956 Rocket, Co-owner 1952 Flash, 10-1/2 less than VinTin

Arrowhead Long Riders 12 Sep 2020 13:31 #107508

That's interesting & valuable to hear. Sorry for your inconvenience! I've locked through Guntersville, Nickajack, Chickamauga, and Watts Bar at various times over the past 5-6 years in my DR - just not all on the same trip before. I've learned to plan for 1-2 hour delays in case a barge is locking through, but I haven't encountered mechanical failures before. I believe they drained the locks at Chickamauga for maintenance back in 2016. Here's some info from an article at the time:

The Nashville District restarted the Chickamauga Lock Replacement Project in April 2016 with a $3.1 million cofferdam stabilization project, and expects to award a two-year-long contract in September 2016 to begin lock excavation, which will prepare the site for future lock construction.

When the new 110-by-600-foot lock is funded and completed, it is expected to speed up the process of locking through, and would process up to nine jumbo barges in one lockage as compared to the one barge per lockage at the existing lock. With efficient funding, the new lock could be completed and able to lock vessels as early as 2022. Final work on the project would extend into 2023.

If you are heading toward Chattanooga now, be aware there is a newish (3-4 years old?) Spring Hill Suites hotel on the riverfront a few hundred yards before you reach the aquarium. They have a restaurant/bar on a deck overlooking the river, and transient docking on the riverbank below the hotel. My wife & I went from Stevenson AL (above Guntersville) to Chattanooga a few years ago (before the Spring Hill Suites hotel was finished), and overnighted at a downtown hotel. At the time, we payed 50c/ft for overnight transient docking. In the DR, that was a very reasonable $6.50 - cheaper than garage parking at the hotel! In your REAL boat, I guess it would be a little more!
The following user(s) said Thank You: VinTin, Barefeet

Last edit: by jmhyatt.

Arrowhead Long Riders 12 Sep 2020 03:35 #107504

jmhyatt, the idea of the Huntsville to Watts Bar journey might sound a lot better than reality. Having now completed most of that trip, along with the 650 miles from the Gulf of Mexico prior to that final leg, I can tell you that the state of the locks on the Tennessee and Tenn-Tom rivers truly sucks.

We were merely inconvenienced by a 3 hour delay at Coffeeville lock, and another 3 hour delay at Aberdeen lock. An 8.5 hour delay at Whitten lock was considerably more than an inconvenience. In each of these cases, they delays were due to equipment failures in the aging locks. The Wilson lock was closed for an entire day earlier this month, followed by another 6 hour delay the following day.

A couple of days later, Guntersville lock was down for several hours before reopening, then closed again after locking only a single commercial tow. Another day of travel lost. We also received word from a lockmaster downriver that Chickamauga lock is experiencing major valve troubles, but haven't quite made it there yet.

All of this is a pain in the ass on a big boat, with creature comforts. On a small craft, it would be a complete disaster.

Just sayin'.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WetWillie, VinTin, jmhyatt

Last edit: by Barefeet.
Time to create page: 0.141 seconds

Forum Statistics

• Total Users:2356
  • Latest Member:Ranger3rob
  • Total Posts:100k
  • Total Topics:7343
  • Total Sections:9
  • Total Categories:24
  • Today Open:0
  • Yesterday Open:0
  • Today Answer:3