This is a large boat show held March 24 and March 25, 2018 and open to the public. I believe it is $5 per day to get in to the show. Plane rides are usually available. Lots of stuff for sale here and also a 'Field of Dreams' with boats for sale. Maybe 100 or more boats in the water.
We often can be seen boating the area and beaching our boats to walk the show. The AOMCI always has a display area and we generally beach our boats in front of their location. Of course John F. has to see every boat there a few times even though he saw them last year and the year before that so we spend a lot of time there at the show and go for short cruises in the area on those three days.
Now for the fun part!
John is down for the month of March and I join him there from the 16th to the 26th. It is for these days that the cruises discussed here are planned. When I say planned what I mean is that we have discussed them and have done them before but we have no dates or days set in stone.
Cruises we plan to do March 17 to March 25:
1) We are at Summerall Park, Dora Canal, in the water, running and set to cruise by 9AM. We spend the whole day cruising starting on the Dora Canal, to Lake Eustis, through Haynes Creek Canal and Lock to Lake Griffin then up the Ocklawaha River, through Moss Bluff Lock, further up the Ocklawaha River to the Silver River, head west on the Silver River to Silver Springs. We have a fairly strict time schedule because the Haynes Creek Lock closes at 6:30PM and if we don't make it we are stuck isolated from our vehicles. This is a beautiful area.
2) One day we would like to start north of Lake George and head north up the St. John's River for 40 miles or so.
3) Again north of Lake George: Crescent Lake is a beautiful area and a nice cruise.
4) Start at Summerall Park on the Dora Canal and go to Lake Apopka, cruise the circumference of Lake Apopka. Cruise back. 4 hour tour.
5) We are considering towing our boats over to the Suwannee River and maybe launching at Fowlers Bluff and spending the day cruising the Suwannee River.
6) Another cruise could be a repeat of of a cruise we did last year with Rob. We launch on the St Johns River at Sanford,Fl, cross Lake Monroe, continued south on the St Johns River then cross Lake Harney and continue south on the St Johns River and end for lunch at C S Lee Park for lunch. I'm not sure how far that is or how long a distance it is
With the Antique Boat Festival being March 22nd to March 25th that doesn't leave many more days, but it does leave some and we are open to suggestions.
Everyone is responsible for their own transportation, boat, room, board, etc.
Let us know if you can make it!
Dan N. (VinTin)